Thursday extra bases
Former Cubs pitcher Rick Sutcliffe will be back in uniform with the team on Friday. Sutcliffe will share his expertise and a few jokes with the coaches and players until he has to report to the broadcast booth for the World Baseball Classic. He was teasing one of the veteran groundskeepers on Thursday about how they would rake the warning track but not the infield when he was pitching.
- Just so there’s no confusion, Lou Piniella says he’s sticking with Alfonso Soriano as his leadoff man. That’s for the regular season. You may see Soriano hitting elsewhere in the order in Cactus League games so others can try out for the No. 1 spot.
- Single game tickets go on sale Friday.
- The Cubs will workout at Fitch Park until Monday, and then move down the street to HoHoKam Park.
- Piniella on Ken Griffey Jr. rejoining the Seattle Mariners: “That’s wonderful. He’s going back to Seattle and he’s going to the Hall of Fame in a Seattle uniform. He started his career there and had 10 great years there. It’s good for the city and good for Junior to go back to his roots. I’m happy for both of them.”
- Piniella hasn’t talked to Tom Ricketts, who has exclusive negotiating rights to buy the Cubs. Said Piniella: “We look forward to seeing him and meeting him and talking baseball with him — and maybe even [talking about] some stocks.”
– Carrie Muskat