3/18 Quick hits
Don’t expect to see Derrek Lee back in the Cubs’ lineup until Friday. Lee has been sidelined with a sore right quad, and Cubs manager Lou Piniella said expectations are that the first baseman will be OK for the game against the Padres at HoHoKam Park.
Remember: Friday’s game is a day game, starting at 1:05 p.m. Arizona time, and will be broadcast on WGN Radio and WGN TV. It was listed on some schedules as a night game.
- Milton Bradley did not report to the ballpark Wednesday. He has the flu, and his wife is in labor.
- Corey Koskie will start at third base on Thursday when the Cubs travel to Peoria to play the Mariners. “This guy was a good player,” Piniella said. “Let’s see what these next 2 1/2, three weeks lead us with him.”
- Kevin Hart has not given up a hit or a run in his last three outings, striking out eight over 3 1/3 innings. He fanned two on Wednesday in one inning. Jose Ascanio, on the other hand, has given up eight runs on seven hits in 1 2/3 innings in his last two games.
- Jeff Samardzija will continue to start, taking Ted Lilly’s spot in the spring rotation until the lefty returns from the World Baseball Classic. Lilly and Team USA advanced to the semifinals but he is not expected to pitch again.
- Speaking of the World Baseball Classic, Geovany Soto and Ivan DeJesus were both expected back in Cubs camp on Thursday after Puerto Rico was eliminated.
– Carrie Muskat