5/13 Quick hits
Carlos Zambrano had his bullpen session on Wednesday, and all went well. The plan is for Big Z to workout on Thursday in Chicago, then join the Class A Daytona team and pitch either Saturday or Sunday. If all goes well, Zambrano will start for the Cubs on May 22 in San Diego.
* There’s no update on Milton Bradley’s appeal of his two-game suspension.
* Ryan Freel made his first start at third. Lou Piniella said they considered keeping Mike Fontenot at third and starting Freel at second, but bench coach Alan Trammell said Freel had done more work at third.
* Aramis Ramirez said his left shoulder is still painful, and he expects to make a rehab assignment before he can return.
* Kyosuke Sasaki, who was Kosuke Fukudome’s hitting coach in Japan, was a guest on Wednesday and will be with the Cubs for the rest of this homestand.
* Cubs Care raised $85,000 through its “Meet the Team, Have a Ball” promotion Wednesday.*
* The Cubs’ 18-14 record is the same as it was one year ago after 32 games.
“When you look at the problems we’ve had from a physical standpoint, and we’ve had some slow starts by some of our players, you have to feel fortunate at where you’re at,” Piniella said.
– Carrie Muskat