6/6 Lineup & quick hits
Jake Fox will get his first start for the Cubs Saturday night in Game 2 vs. the Reds. The lineup is LF Soriano, SS Theriot, 1B Lee, RF Fox, CF Johnson, C Soto, 2B Scales, 3B Fontenot, and P Dempster.
* Fox was batting .429 so far.
“We have to make a decision here in the next week or so with some people coming off the DL, and this will give us a look at Jake and see what moves to make or not to make,” Lou Piniella said.
Infielder Aaron Miles (shoulder) was expected to be activated Wednesday in Houston.
* Asked about Carlos Zambrano’s announcement that he’ll retire at the end of his current contract, Piniella said he wasn’t surprised.
“We’ll see how he feels next week,” Piniella said.
* The Cubs were 0-for-10 with runners in scoring position on Friday, and only two other National League teams (Arizona and San Diego) have a worst average in those situations.
“We’ve preached it,” Piniella said. “The sooner we start doing those things, the sooner we’ll start winning with a little more consistency. It gets frustrating. These guys are trying and it’s not for lack of effort. We just have to hope it gets better.”
* Rich Harden left Saturday to join the Triple-A Iowa team, and will make a rehab start Sunday. Harden (strained back) was expected to come off the disabled list either Friday or Saturday.
* Aramis Ramirez ran in the outfield with conditioning coach Tim Buss and did some fielding drills in the batting cage on Saturday. Ramirez (dislocated left shoulder) isn’t expected to come off the DL until early July.
– Carrie Muskat