7/3 Quick hits
The Cubs have some interesting roster moves to make on Monday when Aramis Ramirez, Reed Johnson and possibly Angel Guzman return from the disabled list. One player they will be watching this weekend is second baseman Mike Fontenot. He’s batting .194 with 12 RBIs in his last 45 games.
“Fontenot’s another kid who we need to get a little more consistent with the bat and help us more offensively,” Lou Piniella said. “He’s capable of it. He’s been working with Von Joshua on some things. He’s starting to show he’s having better at-bats, even though he makes an out. There’s no reason he can’t hit in the .250, .260 range with a little power for us.”
Fontenot does have options left, and Andres Blanco has played well at second. Blanco also is switch-hitting again. He’s hit safely in eight of his last 12 games.
* The Cubs have signed pitcher Casey Fossum to a Minor League contract, and he reported to Triple-A Iowa.
* Ramirez (shoulder) and Johnson (back) were to begin rehab outings Friday night for Class A Peoria vs. Kane County, and Guzman (triceps) was to throw for Triple-A Iowa in Des Moines.
* New infielder Jeff Baker will likely get at-bats vs. left-handed pitching. “He’s basically in the (Mark) DeRosa mold,” Piniella said.
* The Cubs and Brewers are wearing red caps with a star-spangled “C” in honor of the 4th of July holiday.
* Derrek Lee’s two homers gave him 142 with the Cubs, which ranks 13th in franchise history.
– Carrie Muskat