3/21 Cubs Sunday notebook
Mike Fontenot started the second straight game at shortstop on Sunday. If he can play there, the Cubs may be more inclined to keep Kevin Millar or Chad Tracy on the bench than a defensive player like Andres Blanco. Millar started in left and had no problems. Expect to see Xavier Nady in the outfield and first base in the final two weeks of Cactus League play.
“You have to get a little game ready, get some balls off the bat, get your legs in shape, get out there running around,” Lou Piniella said. “It’s a lot different than just DH-ing. We have to give him some time.”
* Aramis Ramirez stayed at HoHoKam on Sunday to hit with coach Rudy Jaramillo and the regulars. There’s no time line for when Ramirez, nursing a sore tricep, will get in a game.
* Blanco, who has been out since March 6 with a strained right knee, played shortstop in the Minor League camp on Sunday.
* Pitcher Brian Schlitter survived a liner off his right calf by Ryan Hanigan in the fifth inning Sunday.
* In the 10th inning Sunday, the Cubs had players from Korea (Hak-Ju Lee), Italy (Alex Maestri), Canada (Chris Robinson), the Dominican Republic (Jose Valdez) and the U.S. on the field.
* Angel Guzman will undergo surgery on Tuesday in Birmingham, Ala. Dr. James Andrews will do the procedure.
— Carrie Muskat