6/27 Early Sunday notes
The tarp is on the field at U.S. Cellular Field but it’s early …
* The Cubs have scored three or fewer runs in six of the last seven games, and been shutout three times in the last seven games. They’re batting .193 heading in the last five games into Sunday’s contest vs. White Sox.
* Aramis Ramirez’s homer Saturday ended a string of 30-consecutive innings without an extra-base hit. Ramirez now has 194 homers with the Cubs, ninth most in franchise history. Next up is Hank Sauer at 198.
* The Cubs bullpen has a 2.80 ERA in June and has lowered that mark every month. The relievers had a 4.80 ERA in April and 3.96 ERA in May.
* The Cubs have played 28 one-run games, most in the Majors. They are 11-17 in those games.
* When reliever Brian Schlitter makes his ML debut, he’ll be the ninth rookie to appear in a game this year for the Cubs. They used 14 in 2009 and 11 in 2008. The franchise record is 20, done in 1902.
* Looking ahead to the upcoming series vs. the Pirates, the rotation will be:
Monday: Randy Wells vs. Paul Maholm
Tuesday: Ted Lilly vs. Jeff Karstens
Wednesday: Tom Gorzelanny vs. Brad Lincoln
— Carrie Muskat