6/28 Zambrano placed on restricted list

Carlos Zambrano will be placed on the restricted list, effective Tuesday, and will undergo evaluation by doctors picked by Major League Baseball and the Players Association. Zambrano has been suspended without pay since a dugout tantrum on Friday at U.S. Cellular Field after the first inning of the Cubs’ game against the White Sox. He accused his teammates of not making plays behind him as the White Sox opened a 4-0 lead, adding three runs on Carlos Quentin’s three-run homer.

Starting Wednesday, Zambrano will begin a treatment program in New York by mutually agreed upon doctors selected by MLB and the Players Association. He will then be re-evaluated.

“If the program is acted upon properly and in accordance with what the doctors signify he needs to work on and improve on, Carlos would not be reinstated until sometime after the All-Star break,” Cubs GM Jim Hendry said Monday.

“It’s an unfortunate situation,” Hendry said. “His actions certainly were inappropriate. As I said Friday, those actions toward his teammates and staff will not be tolerated.”

When Zambrano was suspended, the Cubs played with a 24-man roster. With him being assigned to the restricted list, the Cubs will be able to add a player and pitcher Jeff Stevens will be called up Tuesday. Stevens had been sent down to Triple-A Iowa.

– Carrie Muskat

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 260 other followers

%d bloggers like this: