8/10 Minor matters
Micah Hoffpauir had two hits to extend his hitting streak to a PCL best 18 games in Iowa’s 7-4 loss to Portland on Monday in Des Moines. Hoffpauir, who will join the Cubs in San Francisco Tuesday, was batting .413 during the streak. What’s encouraging is Hoffpauir was hitting .196 in June and has turned things around. He’s batting .327 since June.
“There are a lot of managers in this game who give up on you if you’re hitting .196 in June, you know?” Hoffpauir told the Des Moines Register. “That’s the kind of stuff you appreciate. It makes you want to go out and play hard for him.”
Ryne Sandberg is the Iowa Cubs manager, in case you didn’t know.
“To me, he’s just a calming influence,” said Iowa infielder Bobby Scales of Sandberg. “We all know his pedigree, we all know he’s a Hall of Famer. But he’s also a mellow guy. He wants to win and there’s a fire there. He’s not going to be rah-rah and jump down people’s throats. But there’s an intense desire to win.”
Hung-Wen Chen took the loss, giving up six runs on nine hits over four innings. Darwin Barney had two hits.
* Tennessee won its sixth straight game and 70th of the season with a 16-6 victory over Huntsville. Steve Clevenger and Russ Canzler each homered to back Craig Muschko, who gave up five runs on five hits and three walks over 6 2/3 innings. Brandon Guyer, Matt Spencer and Tony Campana each had three hits.
* Robert Whitenack gave up one run over six innings in Daytona’s 4-2 win over Tampa. Smaily Borges hit his sixth homer and DJ LeMahieu had two hits.
* Frank Batista gave up five runs on eight hits over 3 2/3 innings in Peoria’s 6-4 loss to Quad Cities. Luis Flores had three hits.
* Alvaro Ramirez extended his hitting streak to 13 games in Boise’s 2-1 loss to Everett. Brent Ebinger gave up one run on one hit and struck out seven over five innings. The Hawks committed two errors in the ninth as Everett won in a walkoff.
* Hunter Ackerman gave up three hits and three walks over two scoreless innings in Mesa’s 10-4 loss to the Rangers.
— Carrie Muskat