8/25 Minor matters
Iowa manager Ryne Sandberg was ejected for the fourth time this season in Iowa’s 6-4 loss to Nashville on Tuesday. Brad Snyder hit his 21st home run in the fifth and finished with two RBIs. Bobby Scales and Welington Castillo each drove in a run.
* Ty’Relle Harris threw five shutout innings and was backed by a 13-hit attack as Tennessee beat West Tenn, 9-6, on Tuesday. Harris struck out five for his first win. Marwin Gonzalez drove in three runs and Steve Clevenger had two hits and was named Southern League offensive player of the week for Aug. 16-22.
* On Wednesday, Alex Liddi hit a walkoff RBI single in the ninth off
Kyle Smit to lead West Tenn to a 5-4 win over Tennessee. Jeremy
Papelbon started in place of Craig Muschko and gave up one run over
three innings. Esmailin Caridad, on a rehab assignment, went 1 2/3
* Brooks Raley threw six shutout innings in Daytona’s 8-2 win over Clearwater on Wednesday. Kyler Burke capped an eight-run third inning with a grand slam, his seventh homer. Oswaldo Martinez picked up the save, throwing three innings.
* Brett Wallach, acquired from the Dodgers in the Ted Lilly-Ryan Theriot deal, gave up five runs (three earned) on six hits over five innings in Peoria’s 10-5 loss to Clinton. Matt Cerda hit a three-run homer in the ninth.
* Matt Loosen gave up two runs on three hits over four innings and struck out six in Boise’s 5-1 loss to Vancouver. Micah Gibbs and Elliot Soto each had two hits.
– Carrie Muskat