9/23 Extra bases
Some tidbits from Thursday’s 13-0 loss to the Giants:
* The nine runs allowed by the Cubs in the second were the most in a frame since yielding 12 in the eighth July 30 at Colorado.
* Ryan Dempster hit Jose Guillen twice in the second. He’s the second Cubs pitcher to hit two batters in one inning this year. Andrew Cashner also hit two batters in the seventh on July 27 in Houston.
* Juan Uribe’s six RBIs in the second were the most for any player since the Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez plated seven in the sixth inning October 4, 2009 at Tampa Bay. It’s the most RBI by a player in one inning at Wrigley Field since Andre Dawson drove in six as an Expo Sept. 24, 1985.
* Dempster was charged with a season-high nine runs on seven hits. The nine runs are the most off the right-hander since he gave up nine May 22, 2003, vs. Atlanta. His 1 2/3 innings was his shortest start since 1 1/3 innings on April 30, 2003, in Colorado. It’s only the fourth time in his career he pitched 1 2/3 innings or fewer as a starter.
* Starlin Castro (2-for-4) recorded his 37th multi-hit affair. He’s the 12th Cubs rookie to accomplish the feat and the first since Kosuke Fukudome had 39 in 2008.
* The Cubs served up four homers for the sixth time this season, the most for the club since doing it 12 times in 2006.
* In his first trip back to Wrigley, Mike Fontenot went 2-for-6 with two runs and a double.
* This was the Giants’ largest margin of victory over the Cubs since a 16-3 win Sept. 3, 1963, in San Francisco.