9/25 Extra bases
Tyler Colvin is doing well, but whether he switches to first base for 2011 has not been determined. Hendry talked to Colvin when the rookie outfielder was hospitalized after being struck in the chest by a broken bat in a freak accident last week in Miami.
“Obviously, he escaped a potential disastrous situation,” Hendry said Saturday. “If you were playing three weeks from now, he could possibly play.”
Colvin was expected to resume the strength program he was on after the 2009 season which helped him gain 25 pounds. He lost about 13 pounds during the season. What about switching to first base?
“We might look into it, depending on how the offseason goes and how we line up at first base and the outfield,” Cubs GM Jim Hendry said. “There are a lot of bridges to cross between now and the middle of February.”
On other topics:
* Hendry has been encouraged by how well the Cubs have played since Mike Quade took over. “Guys are playing hard, the veterans are hanging in there and still going about their business well and I’m real happy with some of the young pitchers who have gotten over the hump,” he said. “I think they’ll all benefit from that.”
* He complimented Sean Marshall for another stellar season as set-up man and expected lefty John Grabow to return strong. Grabow will not need surgery on his knee.
“We’re confident he can come back,” Hendry said. “In fairness to John, after having four, five good years, he had a rough first couple months and probably should’ve been a little more vocal on how much discomfort he was in. He’s not the type who wants to make excuses on his lack of success here.”
— Carrie Muskat