2/22 Cubs notebook
Even though Cactus League games have yet to begin, the Cubs roster is nearly set. Manager Mike Quade does need to find one extra infielder and one extra outfielder for the bench. The extra infielder has to be able to backup at short, and Darwin Barney and Augie Ojeda are among the candidates. Reed Johnson, Fernando Perez and Brad Snyder are among the players they’ll look at for the extra outfielder job. Perez, listed as a right-handed hitter, will try switch-hitting this spring.
“Sometimes that works itself out and sometimes it doesn’t and it becomes a brutally tough decision,” Quade said Tuesday about filling the roster spots. “A lot of the people involved in this, we need to see play. This will be something [decided] at the end of camp that will be tough.”
* Tyler Colvin will continue to work both in the outfield and at first base this spring. “He can invest the time at first base to try to be as good as he can there without losing what I’d be concerned about in the outfield,” Quade said of Colvin, who will play at least once a week if not more at first this spring.
* Carlos Pena has been bothered by chest congestion, but has been able to do the workouts.
* The Cubs and WRTO 1200 AM extended their agreement to broadcast an expanded number of games in Spanish. This year, WRTO 1200 AM will broadcast 43 games after doing 35 games last season. The station’s first broadcast will be April 3 against the Pirates.
* Carlos Zambrano, Kerry Wood and Matt Garza are scheduled to throw live batting practice on Wednesday. Zambrano and Garza will pitch Sunday in the Cactus League opener.
* Someone on the Cubs pointed out to Quade that bullpen catcher Edgar Tovar’s 2010 jersey was being auctioned off for $400 while the manager’s jersey was available for $350. The price difference was posted on a piece of paper with the headline, “Who says Qaude doesn’t get any respect?” The typo of the manager’s name was on purpose. Quade received a package from Chicago with the error.
– Carrie Muskat