5/15 Extra bases
Some notes from Saturday’s Cubs game:
* Darwin Barney (2-for-3) has hit safely in 26 of his 31 starts this season … he is hitting .368 (14-for-38) in his last nine games, hitting safely in eight of those contests … he recorded his team-leading, and rookie-leading 16th multi-hit effort of the season.
Starlin Castro (2-for-3) is 12-for-20 (.600) in his last five games … he is hitting .344 (31-for-90) with 14 runs, five doubles, three triples and 12 RBI at Wrigley this season (21 games).
Barney and Castro have combined to hit .625 (10-for-16) with four runs, two doubles and five RBI in the first two games of this series.
* The Cubs were shut out for the fourth time this season.
* Saturday night was Chicago’s first rain-shortened game since a five-inning contest May 26, 2009 vs. the Pirates (6-1 win).
* Alfonso Soriano (1-for-3) is 6-for-13 (.462) with a walk, two runs and two RBI in his last four games … he is hitting .313 (15-for-48) with one double, four homers and seven RBI in his last 13 games, dating to April 29.
* Carlos Peña (0-for-2, BB) has reached base safely in his last 10 games, hitting safely in six of those contests.
* Blake DeWitt (1-for-3) is hitting .300 (6-for-20) against the N.L. West this year.
* Looking ahead to the Cubs’ series in Cincinnati:
Monday: Carlos Zambrano (4-1, 4.35 ERA) vs. Homer Bailey (2-0, 0.69 ERA)
Tuesday: Matt Garza (2-4, 4.17 ERA) vs. Edinson Volquez (3-1, 5.74 ERA)
— Carrie Muskat