6/12 Dirty laundry
Heading into the final game of this long, three-city, 10-game trip on Sunday, let’s recap:
* The Cubs are 2-7 in the nine games so far, with Ryan Dempster the only starter to pick up a win on June 8 vs. the Reds. Sean Marshall got the other win in relief on June 9 vs. the Phillies.
* They’ve left 68 runners on base (an average of 7.5 per game), scored 25 runs (average 2.7 per game), and made eight errors. They’ve out-hit their opponents, 78-75, but have been outscored, 48-25. And the pitchers have a combined 5.13 ERA (48 runs, 80 2/3 innings).
* Blake DeWitt has gone 11-for-35 (.314) while Carlos Pena is 7-for-33 (.212), Aramis Ramirez 7-for-29 (.241), Starlin Castro 8-for-35 (.229) and Darwin Barney 10-for-39 (.256).
* They’ve played three extra-inning games, faced three 20-game winners so far (with a fourth, Roy Oswalt on Sunday) and began the road trip eight games back in the National League Central. Now, they’re 11 1/2 games behind.
* The good news? Nobody had to go on the disabled list this week. The bad? Reed Johnson was hit in the helmet by a pitch on Saturday during his rehab outing. A team official said Sunday Johnson was OK, and expected in Chicago on Monday along with Jeff Baker.
— Carrie Muskat