6/28 Extra bases – UPDATED
Darwin Barney went 2-for-3 for Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday and most likely will be in the Cubs’ lineup Wednesday. He’s been on the DL since June 14 with a sprained left knee. Barney is wearing a knee brace now, and has said it doesn’t hinder his mobility and gives him the support he needs.
* Marlon Byrd hit a three-run homer for Triple-A Iowa on Tuesday, his second rehab game. No ill effects after being hit in the back by a pitch on Monday in his first game.
* Kerry Wood as to throw on the side Wednesday. He’s recovering from a blister on his right index finger.
* Expect to see Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Pena in the lineup for Tuesday’s second game against lefty Barry Zito.
* Quade has ben impressed by rookie DJ LeMahieu’s defensive play. “I think he’s handled himself extremely well,” Quade said. “He hasn’t been in awe. I’ve really been impressed with him defensively. He’s a big kid, moves around well.”
* Aramis Ramirez and Carlos Pena hit two homers each in the Cubs’ 7-3 win over the Rockies on Monday. According to Elias Sports Bureau, that’s the first time in the Cubs’ 96 seasons at Wrigley Field that the home team’s starters in the fourth and fifth spots in the batting order both hit multiple home runs in the same game. Ernie Banks and Ron Santo — like Pena and Ramirez, corner infielders — started 969 games together as the Cubs’ fourth and fifth hitters (504 at Wrigley). But the only time that both players hit two homers in the same game was at County Stadium in Milwaukee in 1965.