7/18 Minor League report
Chris Robinson hit a three-run homer in the sixth to help Iowa beat Oklahoma City, 3-2. Dave Bush, who recently signed a Minor League deal with the Cubs, started the game and gave up one run on five hits over 2 1/3 innings. Justin Berg converted his third save. Robinson likes what he sees of the Cubs’ up and coming prospects.
“You have to like what’s in the future,” he told the Des Moines Register. “There’s a core group of young guys with us in Des Moines, and there’s a pretty good core group of good, young guys already in Chicago. It’s exciting.”
Cubs GM Jim Hendry will be in Des Moines this week to get a first-hand look at the Iowa Cubs.
* Heavy rain forced Tennessee to suspend its game Sunday against Mississippi. It will resume on Monday, followed by the regularly scheduled game.
* Angel Guzman gave up one run on two hits and two walks and struck out four over two innings in Daytona’s 9-3 win over Bradenton. Matt Szczur had two hits and a stolen base, and Michael Brenly extended his hitting streak to seven games with a two-hit game. Dae-Eun Rhee earned the win in relief.
* Luis Liria gave up seven runs on seven hits over five innings in Peoria’s 16-7 loss to Fort Wayne. Richard Jones had two hits to extend his hitting streak to 12 games.
* Willengton Cruz gave up one run on four hits over 5 2/3 innings in Boise’s 1-0 loss to Vancouver.
* Hayden Simpson threw four scoreless innings in Mesa’s 4-1 win over the Mariners. Simpson struck out three and walked one.
— Carrie Muskat