7/31 Extra bases
Some Cubs notes to pass the time as we wait for the Trade Deadline to pass:
* The Cubs now are 33-23 when they score at least four runs, good for a .589 winning percentage. When they score three runs or less, they’re 9-42. Saturday’s game was the fifth time since the start of June that they’ve scored more than four runs and lost the game.
* Ryan Dempster will make his 347th appearance as a Cub on Sunday night. That moves him past Mordecai “Three Finger” Brown” into 10th for appearances in franchise history.
* Aramis Ramirez heads into the final game of July with nine home runs and 23 RBIs. He has nearly matched the rest of the team combined for home runs in July. The rest of the Cubs have hit 10.
* James Russell’s scoreless streak ended on Saturday at 14 1/3 innings. That’s the fifth longest streak by a Cubs lefty reliever since 2000. Russell has a 1.69 ERA in 33 relief outings in which he’s thrown 1 1/3 or fewer innings per appearance.
* Geovany Soto posted his first RBI since July 23 on Saturday, and first multiple RBI game since June 30.
* Pitching probables for Cubs’ next series vs. the Pirates:
Monday: Carlos Zambrano (7-6, 4.59 ERA) vs. Paul Maholm (6-10, 3.16 ERA)
Tuesday: Randy Wells (2-4, 6.16 ERA) vs. Kevin Correia (12-8, 4.24 ERA)
Wednesday: Matt Garza (4-8, 3.99 ERA) vs. Charlie Morton (8-6, 4.04 ERA)
Thusday: Rodrigo Lopez (2-3, 4.40 ERA) vs. James McDonald (7-5, 4.17 ERA)
— Carrie Muskat