8/21 Extra bases
* The Cubs are looking for their first sweep of the Cardinals since a four-game series, July 27-30, 2006. Chicago has won its last four series at Wrigley Field for the first time since a five-series win streak Aug. 1-24, 2008. They have won this series vs. the Cardinals and now are 5-1 in six series this month after going 1-7 in eight July series.
* The Cubs are 13-5 in August and look to win 14 of the first 19 games in the month for the first time in 82 years. According to Elias Sports Bureau, the 1929 Cubs squad began August with a 14-5 record.
* Aramis Ramirez needs one home run to become the fourth player in Cubs history to record at least six seasons with 25 doubles and 25 homers. So far, Ernie Banks, Billy Williams and Ryne Sandberg have accomplished the feat.
* Sean Marshall has 27 holds, setting the franchise mark for holds by a left-hander. Jeff Fassero set the mark of 25 in 2001. Marshall is three holds shy of matching Carlos Marmol’s single-season club record of 30 in 2008.
* Here are the pitching matchups vs. the Braves, who come to town for the four-game series starting Monday night:
Monday: Jair Jurrjens (12-5, 2.84) vs. Ryan Dempster (10-8, 4.61)
Tuesday: Mike Minor (3-2, 4.26) vs. Casey Coleman (2-5, 7.43)
Wednesday: Derek Lowe (8-11, 4.73) vs. Randy Wells (4-4, 5.84)
Thursday: Brandon Beachy (6-2, 3.32) vs. Matt Garza (6-9, 3.62)
– Carrie Muskat