9/7 Cubs Minor League report
* Double-A Tennessee begins playoff action on Thursday against Chattanooga. Chris Rusin (3-2, 3.91) is scheduled to start in the first game of the best of five North Division Championship Series. The Smokies finished first in the first half with a 43-27 record.
* Daytona lost the first game of the Florida State League North Division Series against Dunedin, 4-3, in 10 innings. Dae-Eun Rhee gave up one run on six hits and struck out five over six innings. Jake Optiz had three hits and Justin Bour had two hits and stole a base. Game 2 will be Wednesday and Jeff Antigua (2-2, 2.92) is scheduled to start for the D-Cubs.
* Richard Jones was named MVP of the Peoria Chiefs. He batted .309 with 24 homers and 98 RBIs, and is the first Chief to win the Midwest League RBI title. Eric Jokisch was named the Chiefs Pitcher of the Year. He finished 9-3 with a 2.96 ERA. Micah Gibbs received the Ryne Sandberg Award, presented to the player who exemplifies professionalism, dedication and work ethic.
* Reggie Golden homered but it wasn’t enough as Boise lost 9-1 to Tri-City and was eliminated in the Divisional playoffs. Joe Zeller started, and gave up five runs — four earned — on six hits over 3 1/3 innings.
* Iowa hitting coach Von Joshua will not be back. His contract was not renewed for next season.
– Carrie Muskat