9/28 Game No. 162
After Wednesday’s season finale, Starlin Castro will close as the National League’s hits leader with 200 plus. He has 206 going into the game and is tied with Joe DiMaggio and Hal Trosky for fifth on the all-time list of most hits in a single season 21 years or younger since 1900. Castro won’t be able to catch Lloyd Waner, who totaled 223 hits in 1927 and is the all-time leader.
* Ryan Dempster enters Wednesday’s game 3 1/3 innings shy of his fourth straight year with 200. With 10 wins, he’s tied for the team lead with Matt Garza.
* Sean Marshall set the single-season franchise record with 34 holds.
* The Cubs have not hit a grand slam in 161 games. This could be their first season without one since 1997.
* Darwin Barney has 146 hits, the most by a Cubs rokie since Ryne Sandberg had 172 in 1982.
* Tony Campana can finish with the second-highest single-season stolen base percentage in Cubs history. He’s at 92.3 percent (24-for-26), which trails only Bob Dernier (93.1 percent in 1986).
* The Cubs have three players with at least 25 homers in Carlos Pena (28), Aramis Ramirez (26) and Alfonso Soriano (26). It’s the first time since four Cubs did so in 2004: Moises Alou (39), Aramis Ramirez (36), Sammy Sosa (35) and Derrek Lee (32).
– Carrie Muskat