12/21 Cubs Minor League coordinators named
The Cubs also announced the 2012 Minor League coordinators:
* Brandon Hyde joins the Cubs as Minor League field coordinator after nine years in the Marlins organization, including his first full season as the Major League team’s bench coach in 2011. Hyde, 38, was the Marlins’ Minor League field coordinator to begin 2010 before he joined the big league team. He takes over for Dave Bialas, who was named Triple-A Iowa’s field manager.
* Dennis Lewallyn enters his second season as Minor League pitching coordinator, and his sixth in the Cubs organization. He served as Double-A Tennessee’s pitching coach from 2007-10, and helped that club to consecutive Southern League Championship appearances in 2009 and 2010.
* James Rowson begins his first season with the organization as the Minor League hitting coordinator after six seasons in the Yankees organization, including the last four as their Minor League hitting coordinator. Rowson, 35, is a former outfielder who played professionally from 1995-98, including time in the Mariners and Yankees organizations.
* Tom Beyers returns for his 13th season with the organization, and his first as short season hitting coordinator, a newly created position. In this role, he will focus on players with Single-A Boise, Rookie-League Mesa and the Cubs Dominican clubs. Beyers was the Minor League hitting coordinator in 2011 after two seasons as Tennessee’s hitting coach. Prior to joining the Cubs in 2000, Beyers spent 21 seasons in the Dodgers chain as a minor league player, coach or manager.
* Bill Dancy enters his first season as infield coordinator in his third year with the organization. He managed Iowa in 2011 after earning the 2010 Southern League Manager of the Year award while guiding Tennessee to the Southern League Championship Series. Dancy has 38 years experience as a player, coach or manager in professional baseball and has amassed 1,670 victories in 23 minor league campaigns as a manager.
* Marty Pevey begins his third season as catching coordinator after managing Class A Peoria in 2009, his first year with the Cubs organization. Pevey brings 13 years of playing experience and 10 seasons as a manager to the position.
* Lee Tinsley enters his second year as the organization’s outfield/baserunning coordinator. He has 11 years of coaching experience following a 14-year playing career. He was the Mariners’ Major League first base coach in 2009-10 after serving in the same capacity with the Diamondbacks from 2006-08.
* Carmelo Martinez enters his 15th season in the Cubs organization, and his fifth as Latin American field coordinator. The former Major League outfielder and first baseman spent 10 seasons at Mesa, handling managerial duties from 1999-2003 and 2006.
* Doug Jarrow begins his fifth season as the strength and conditioning coordinator. He previously spent five years in the Dodgers organization, including 2003-05 as the Minor League strength and conditioning coordinator and 2006-07 as the Major League strength coach.
* Justin Sharpe returns as Minor League athletic training coordinator for the eighth-consecutive year. He joined the Cubs in 2003 as the athletic trainer for Double-A West Tenn after six years as an athletic trainer in Atlanta’s system.
* Chuck Baughman enters his seventh season as rehabilitation coordinator, and his 12th year with the organization, after joining the club as Single-A Boise’s athletic trainer in 2001.
— Carrie Muskat