4/20 Extra bases: Reds 9, Cubs 4
The Cubs committed three errors Friday which contributed to a loss to the Reds, Chicago’s sixth straight defeat. Chris Volstad (0-2) gave up six runs (five earned) on seven hits and two walks over five innings. Bryan LaHair, batting fourth in place of Alfonso Soriano, had two hits.
* Ryan Dempster is questionable for Sunday’s start because of a right quad strain. Dempster underwent an MRI on Friday. Randy Wells was brought to Chicago from Triple-A Iowa in case the Cubs need a starter. Dempster is 0-1 but has a 1.33 ERA in his three starts this season and has struck out 23.
* The Cubs have a Major League low five home runs. The Yankees hit five homers Friday against the Red Sox.
* The Cubs placed Kerry Wood on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 14, with right shoulder fatigue and recalled left-handed reliever Scott Maine from Triple-A Iowa. Maine spent most of last season at Iowa where he went 3-4 with 12 saves and a 3.68 ERA. Wood has appeared in four games, with his last outing one week ago in St. Louis. It’s the 16th time in his career he’s been placed on the DL.
* The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced that Dodgers Minor League pitcher Angel Guzman has received a 50-game suspension after a second violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program for a drug of abuse. The suspension of Guzman, who is currently on the roster of Triple-A Albuquerque, was effective immediately.
* Sports radio host Dan Patrick will lead the Wrigley Field crowd in the seventh inning stretch on Saturday. On Sunday, it will be Bears wide receiver Earl Bennett. On Monday, UIC men’s basketball coach Howard Moore will do the honors. On Tuesday, it will be Loyola men’s basketball coach Porter Moser. On Wednesday, former Seinfeld actor Jason Alexander will sing “Take Me out to the Ballgame.”
— Carrie Muskat