5/6 In-game notes
* Bryan LaHair drew a walk to leadoff the second inning on Sunday, and he now has reached safely in a team-high 24 straight games. That’s the longest streak by a Cubs first baseman since Derrek Lee’s 23-game stretch in 2009.
* Starlin Castro singled in the third, and has reached base safely in 65 of his last 68 games, starting Aug. 15, 2011.
* Travis Wood doubled in the third for the first extra-base hit by a Cubs pitcher this year and only the second hit by a Cubs pitcher. Matt Garza has the other one. Wood also singled in the fifth. For the game, Wood gave up three runs on three hits and three walks over six innings, while striking out four. He was pulled after throwing 100 pitches. What was impressive, besides his hitting, is that the lefty settled down after two rough innings, and retired the last 11 batters he faced.
* Sunday marked the anniversary of Kerry Wood’s 20-strikeout game against the Astros, May 6, 1998, at Wrigley Field.
* Ian Stewart was scratched from the starting lineup because of the flu but appeared in the dugout.
* Sunday’s rain delay also was fifth this year for the Cubs.
— Carrie Muskat