5/7 Extra bases & lineup
* Today marks the two-year anniversary of when Starlin Castro made his Major League debut at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati (May 7, 2010). He went 2-for-5, hitting a three-run homer in his first plate appearance. Castro added a three-run triple that game, and his six RBIs were the most recorded by a player in his first career ML appearance. In his first two calendar years of big league play, Castro has hit .308 with 73 doubles, 16 triples, 14 homers and 125 RBIs in 311 games.
Since making his debut, Castro ranks fourth in the Majors with 385 hits, trailing the Rangers’ Michael Young, the Mariners’ Ichiro Suzuki and the Red Sox’s Adrian Gonzalez.
* On Sunday, the Cubs bullpen threw five scoreless innings without issuing a walk. It’s the first time that’s happened since Aug. 30, 2009, against the Mets, when the Cubs ‘pen gave up one hit over 5 2/3 innings.
* Ian Stewart, back in the starting lineup on Monday, was batting .389 (7-for-18) in his last six games with a double, homer and two RBIs.
* Bryan LaHair has reached base safely in a team-high 24 straight games. He’s the first Cubs first baseman to do that since Derrek Lee had a 30-game run May 16-June 23, 2009.
* Here’s Monday’s lineup vs. the Braves:
* Pitching matchups:
Monday: RHP Jeff Samardzija (3-1, 3.41) vs. RHP Tommy Hanson (3-2, 3.74)
Tuesday: RHP Ryan Dempster (0-1, 0.95) vs. RHP Randall Delgado (2-3, 5.14)
Wednesday: LHP Paul Maholm (3-2, 5.13) vs. RHP Tim Hudson (1-0, 6.55)
— Carrie Muskat