5/9 Extra bases, Part II
* Paul Maholm has a 1.07 ERA in his last four starts, all wins, and has held batters to a .167 average. He’s given up three earned runs in 25 1/3 innings. The four-game win streak ties his personal best, most recently May 31-July 10, 2008.
“I’m going to have another rough outing at some point, that’s part of baseball,” Maholm said, “but I’m going to ride this as long as I possibly can and hopefully for a good while.”
* Starlin Castro tried to get the Cubs on the board in the fourth when he hit a ball near the right field foul line past a diving Jason Heyward. But Heyward recovered and relayed the ball to second baseman Dan Uggla, who easily threw out Castro at home. Third base coach Pat Listach was waving Castro home.
“It’s one of those things, it still took a good relay throw,” Dale Sveum said of the play. “With two outs there, you’re hoping for a bad skip or bad relay throw. Sometimes as the third base coach, you like pushing the envelope especially in a game when you feel it’ll be a tough time scoring runs, and sure enough it was a game like that.”
* Cubs pitchers have a 2.51 ERA in the last 17 games, and the team is 10-7 in that stretch. They’ve won three straight home series.
* Wednesday’s 2 hour 5 minute game was the shortest of the season.
* Bryan LaHair has reached safely in a team-high 27 straight games. he has 17 RBIs in his last 21 games.
* Next up is a three-game series at Miller Park. It’ll be Matt Garza vs. Randy Wolf on Friday; Chris Volstad vs. Shaun Marcum on Saturday; and Jeff Samardzija vs. Marco Estrada on Sunday.
– Carrie Muskat