5/12 About last night …
* Friday’s 13-inning game was 5 hours 4 minutes long, and strangely, followed the shortest game of the year on Wednesday, which was completed in 2:05
* The Cubs walked 14 batters, one shy of the franchise record of 15 set May 15, 1962, against the Mets, which also was a 13-inning game.
* There were 466 pitches thrown (235 by eight Cubs pitchers, 231 by eight Brewers pitchers). Rafael Dolis threw a season-high 41 pitches; his previous high was 39 in his second appearance of the season on April 10 against the Brewers. Dolis now is 3-for-5 in save opportunities this year. Kerry Wood matched his season high with 25 pitches.
“Woody did a great job,” Dale Sveum said. “Hopefully that builds his confidence up.”
* Bryan LaHair was 0-for-6, and his batting average dropped from .384 to .359. His streak of reaching base safely ended at 27 games. Starlin Castro did extend his hitting streak to 10 games.
* After combing for one run over the first six innings, the Cubs and Brewers then totaled 14 in the final seven.
— Carrie Muskat