5/15 Extra bases
Paul Maholm closes the Cubs quickie two-game series in St. Louis today, and the team then heads home for another two-game set against the Phillies, starting Wednesday night.
* Shawn Camp won his second straight game on Monday, and is the first Cubs pitcher to win consecutive games since Jeff Samardzija did so last June 13-14 against the Brewers.
* Bryan LaHair has reached base safely in a team-high 31 straight games. Only four Cubs first basemen since 1945 have had longer streaks:
Phil Cavarretta: 32 games, June 10-July 12, 1945
Andre Thornton: 33 games, Aug. 5-Sept. 13, 1975
Bill Buckner: 32 games, April 9-Aug. 10, 1981
Derrek Lee: 32 games, April 2-May 10, 2007
* LaHair’s streak is second-longest in the Major Leagues, trailing the Rangers’ Elvis Andrus (32 games)
* Ian Stewart needs one RBI for 200.
* Pitching matchups against the Phillies:
RHP Matt Garza (2-1, 2.56) vs. RHP Vance Worley (3-2, 3.07)
Thursday: RHP Chris Volstad (0-5, 6.92) vs. RHP Roy Halladay (3-3, 3.20)
* Looking ahead to the Cubs Interleague series vs. the White Sox, it’ll be Philip Humber vs. Samardzija on Friday; John Danks vs. Ryan Dempster on Saturday; and Jake Peavy vs. Maholm on Sunday at Wrigley Field.
— Carrie Muskat