6/2 Extra bases
* The Cubs will try to snap an eight-game road losing streak on Saturday when they play the second game of a four-game series against the Giants. It’s their longest skid away from home since a nine-game losing streak Aug. 25-Sept. 10, 2006. The Cubs have scored a run in eight of their last 63 innings on the road, and scored more than one run in only three of those innings.
* Matt Garza faces Matt Cain Saturday. On Sunday, Travis Wood will face lefty Barry Zito, and Jeff Samardzija will close the series Monday against Ryan Vogelsong. Garza will be trying to bounce back from back to back rough outings. He has given up 12 earned runs on 12 hits and three walks over eight innings in his last two starts, both loss, and has not won since April 29. After a 2-1, 2.67 ERA in April, he went 0-2 with a 6.86 ERA in May. Time to turn the calendar.
* Where were you in 1912? On Saturday, the Cubs and Giants will wear throwback uniforms from that season. The Cubs won 91 games, and finished third. For trivia fans, the Cubs are 5-0 all-time when wearing throwback uni’s.
* The Cubs have made 18 moves on the 25-man roster in the last 17 days, beginning May 16. On Friday, they claimed right-handed pitcher Jairo Asencio from the Indians and right-handed pitcher Michael Bowden was designated for assignment.
* Alfonso Soriano has 140 home runs in his five-plus seasons with the Cubs. He is two shy of becoming the 86th player in Major League history to reach 350 career homers. He’s currently tied with George Foster on the all-time list; next up, is Chili Davis at 350.
— Carrie Muskat