6/15 Extra bases & lineup
* Friday is Game 1 of a three-game series between the Cubs and Red Sox, who first met in the 1918 World Series, which Boston won, 4-2. They did not meet again until June 2005 in a three-game Interleague series at Wrigley Field. Last season, the Cubs and Red Sox squared off at Fenway Park, which was Chicago’s first visit there in nearly 93 years.
* Ryan Dempster enters Friday’s game with a 15 inning scoreless streak. His 2.31 ERA ranks fifth in the NL, and he is the only pitcher in the big leagues to make at least 11 starts and have two wins or fewer despite a sub 3.00 ERA.
* The Cubs have scored 121 runs in their 21 wins, an average of 5.8 runs per game. They’ve totaled 112 runs in 42 losses, an average of 2.7 runs per game. When they do score four runs, they’re 17-13.
* The Cubs are 105-124 in Interleague play since 1997, and 2-7 this season.
* Happy birthday to Hall of Famer Billy Williams, who turns 74 on Friday.
Here’s the lineup:
— Carrie Muskat