6/17 Cubs lineup & extra bases
Paul Maholm is on the mound Sunday night when the Cubs close their three-game Interleague series against the Red Sox. Here’s the lineup:
* Starlin Castro has started each of the Cubs’ first 65 games this season, and is one of two NL players to start all of the team’s games so far. The Braves’ Dan Uggla also has done so.
* The Cubs are batting .224 against southpaws this season, third lowest in the NL. They are 3-14 against left-handed starters, including a loss Saturday.
* The Cubs have lost 23 of their last 30 games since May 15, and 12 of those 23 losses have been by one run. Alfonso Soriano has provided much of the offense, hitting 12 homers in his last 30 games. He’s batting .294 in that stretch with seven doubles, 24 RBIs and a .688 slugging percentage.
* The Cubs are 3-8 in Interleague play, with three games remaining against the American League. They face their crosstown rivals, the White Sox, in a three-game set starting Monday night at U.S. Cellular Field. Pitching matchups:
Monday: Matt Garza (2-5, 4.04 ERA) vs. Zach Stewart (1-1, 5.18 ERA)
Tuesday: Travis Wood (0-3, 4.58 ERA) vs. Jake Peavy (6-2, 2.91 ERA)
Wednesday: Ryan Dempster (3-3, 2.11 ERA) vs. Gavin Floyd (4-7, 5.63 ERA)
* Happy birthday to bullpen coach Lester Strode, who is 54. He’s in his 24th season as a member of the Cubs organization.
– Carrie Muskat