6/20 Extra bases
* Matt Garza and Travis Wood were the winners in the first two games of the Cubs’ Interleague series against the White Sox, marking the first time since April 12-13 that Cubs starting pitchers have posted wins in back to back games. The last time the starters won three in a row was July 31-Aug. 3 last year.
* Major League Baseball has reversed the official scorer’s decision from the June 15 game against the Red Sox in which Alex Aviles’ ground ball to Darwin Barney was ruled an error. It’s now a hit, meaning Barney’s errorless streak is now at 55 games and covers 454 1/3 innings. It’s the longest for a Cubs middle infielder since Jeff Baker had a 56-game errorless streak from Sept. 3, 2009-June 28, 2011.
* Carlos Marmol picked up his 99th career save and fourth this season on Tuesday. He looks to become the fourth pitcher in franchise history with 100 saves, joining Lee Smith (180), Bruce Sutter (133) and Randy Myers (112).
* The Cubs are 5-9 in Interleague play.
* After an off day Thursday, the Cubs return to National League action, facing the Diamondbacks in Phoenix. Here are the matchups:
Friday: RHP Jeff Samardzija (5-5, 4.04) vs. LHP Joe Saunders (4-5, 3.44)
Saturday: RHP Matt Garza (3-5, 4.07) vs. RHP Ian Kennedy (5-7, 4.13)
Sunday: RHP Paul Maholm (4-5, 4.88) vs. LHP Wade Miley (8-3, 2.30)
– Carrie Muskat