6/25 Extra bases – UPDATE
* Travis Wood has a 2.27 ERA in June after compiling a 5.94 ERA in May. He also has quality starts in four of his last five outings. How’s his confidence level?
“Good right now — absolutely high right now,” Wood said, smiling.
* The Cubs are 19-15 when scoring four or more runs and now 4-16 vs. left-handed starters after Monday’s 6-1 win over the Mets and Johan Santana.
* When Anthony Rizzo arrives Tuesday, he’ll take over as the Cubs every day first baseman, and bat either third or fourth. Said Alfonso Soriano: “I’d like to see him hit behind me.”
* Bryan LaHair is prepared for Rizzo’s arrival.
“It is what it is,” LaHair said Monday. “He’ll get the opportunity to play. He’s a first baseman and that’s the only position he plays. He’s got a big bat, so we have to have him. I’m comfortable in the outfield and I just want to hit. As long as I’m in the lineup, I don’t really care [where I play].”
* Ryan Dempster, on the disabled list with a sore right lat, was able to throw on flat ground Monday, the first time he’s done so since he was sidelined June 16, and reported no discomfort. However, Dempster was expected to miss at least two more starts.
* Third baseman Ian Stewart, on the DL since June 13 with soreness in his left wrist, was able to hit Monday and was making progress. There is no timetable for his return.
— Carrie Muskat