7/14 Ron Santo week
Ron Santo will be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame on July 22, and there will be a series of events leading up to the ceremony in Cooperstown. It will be finalized July 27 with Ron Santo Day at Wrigley Field, when the team will honor the former third baseman with a special pregame ceremony featuring members of his family. The first 10,000 fans in the gate will receive a commemorative Ron Santo Hall of Fame plaque, courtesy of PNC Bank, while commemorative memorabilia will also be available for purchase. The team has partnered with Scotts to incorporate an honorary design into the outfield grass of Wrigley Field for that afternoon’s game.
“Ron Santo embodied what it meant to be a Chicago Cub,” chairman Tom Ricketts said in a statement. “This franchise couldn’t be prouder as he is enshrined in the National Baseball Hall of Fame and we’re honored he will forever represent the Chicago Cubs in Cooperstown. Our family looks forward to celebrating this well-deserved accomplishment with Cubs fans worldwide.”
* July 17 – Cubs Corner Luncheon, Chicago
Ron’s son, Ron Santo Jr., plus former teammate and Hall of Famer Fergie Jenkins, and Cubs WGN Radio broadcaster Pat Hughes will reflect on Ron’s Hall of Fame induction during a panel discussion at the Cubs Corner Luncheon at Wildfire restaurant in Chicago. The session will air on WGN Radio 720 AM from 12-1 p.m. CT. Tickets are $55 per person, inclusive of tax and gratuity. Each guest receives an autographed photo of a featured panelist upon check-in and lunch. On-site registration begins at 11 a.m CT. Tickets are available at www.cubs.com/cubscorner.
* July 21 – Cubs Fan Fest, Cooperstown, N.Y.
The Cubs will host a Cubs Fan Fest in Cooperstown on July 21 in honor of Ron Santo’s induction into the Hall of Fame. The party will be held in the lawn-tented section of Cooperstown’s Fenimore Art Museum from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. ET. This casual party is for Cubs fans who wish to celebrate Santo’s life and induction with other members of the Cubs community, including Ron’s teammates and several members of the Cubs front office. Special guests include Pat Hughes, Billy Williams, Fergie Jenkins, Randy Hundley, Glenn Beckert, the Ricketts family and others. Attendees will enjoy a live question and answer session, video of memorable Santo moments, music, food and drinks. A suggested $10 donation at the event will help benefit Chicago Cubs Charities and the not-for-profit National Baseball Hall of Fame.
* July 22 – National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, Cooperstown, N.Y.
The National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place July 22 at 1:30 p.m. ET on the grounds outside of the Clark Sports Center. The ceremony is expected to last two hours. Seating for the event is unlimited and free of charge. A blanket or lawn chair is recommended for comfortable viewing. Ball caps, yearbooks and museum membership packages are available for purchase at the Hall of Fame induction site.
* July 22 – Hall of Fame Induction Viewing Party, Wrigley Field’s Captain Morgan Club, Chicago
Concurrent with the National Baseball Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, the Cubs will host a viewing party at the Captain Morgan Club adjacent to Wrigley Field starting at 11 a.m. CT. Attendees can watch the ceremony live on dozens of televisions from 12:30-2:30 p.m. CT just steps away from Ron Santo’s statue at the corner of Addison Street and Sheffield Avenue.
* July 27 – Ron Santo Day at Wrigley Field, Chicago
The first Cubs home game following the Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be dedicated to honoring Ron Santo in the ballpark he enjoyed the most. The following activities will highlight Ron Santo Day at Wrigley Field:
- The Cubs will honor Santo during an on-field ceremony featuring members of his family before the 1:20 p.m. CT game vs. the Cardinals.
- The first 10,000 fans will receive a commemorative Ron Santo Hall of Fame plaque, courtesy of PNC Bank.
- The outfield grass in center field will showcase an honorary No. 10 design that was chosen by fans through a partnership with Scotts, the Official Lawn Care Company of the Cubs and Major League Baseball.
- Chicago Kernel Gourmet Popcorn will hand out free samples of their gourmet popcorn at Wrigley Field and sell a limited-edition collectible art popcorn tin commemorating Ron Santo’s legendary career and induction into the Hall of Fame. Each tin includes a limited-edition Ron Santo baseball card.
- Majestic will offer commemorative Ron Santo Hall of Fame Cubs jerseys, T-shirts and patches for sale, with proceeds benefitting the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).
Fans may purchase tickets for the July 27 game at Wrigley Field at www.cubs.com.