9/20 Extra bases
* Jason Berken can’t help but keep tabs on his buddies with the Orioles. The right-hander, whom the Cubs claimed off waivers on Sept. 7, came up with the O’s, who are battling for a playoff spot.
“I’ve got a lot of good friends on that team and they deserve everything they get,” Berken said. “It’s a great city, great organization. I don’t think anybody is surprised, including myself. I’m very happy to be here. I want to take advantage of it as much as I can. I’m thrilled to be a Cub. It means a lot to be here. The opportunity I’m getting is appreciated. I have to do my part and pitch well and give us a chance to win.”
* Starlin Castro leads all NL players with 517 hits since his Major League debut May 7, 2010. On Thursday, Castro tripled, and is now the sixth Cubs player to total at least a dozen triples in a single season in the last 50 years. He’s the first to do so since Juan Pierre hit 13 triples in 2006.
* Anthony Rizzo posted his 26th multi-hit game of the season and second in as many days.
* The Cubs have lost 23 consecutive games when scoring three runs or less dating to their 3-2 win against the Cardinals on July 28.
* Thursday’s crowd of 25,891 was the smallest of the year at Wrigley Field.
– Carrie Muskat