2/24 Extra bases
* Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro will be using custom designed Wilson gloves this year, which Barney created. The gloves have the players’ signatures stitched in red and there is Cubs blue trim. Barney said he didn’t add any gold in honor of him winning his first Gold Glove trophy.
“We don’t have gold in our team colors,” he said. “[Castro] and I wanted the same colors.”
The Gold Glove award is sponsored by Rawlings, and Barney will not have a patch or anything else on his glove.
“People know,” he said. “We don’t need to remind them.”
* So far, Jorge Soler and Javier Baez have held their own early in camp.
“Like I keep saying, Soler keeps showing more and more poise at the plate,” Dale Sveum said of the Cubs two top prospects. “He’s not a premeditated swinger for a young guy. He gets a good look at the ball before he swings the bat. They’re impressive. Baez gets the guy over, hits a missile to right field, does a nice job at shortstop. So far, they’re living up to the hype a little bit.”
* If you’re traveling to Glendale on Monday for the Cubs game against the Dodgers, here’s the lineup:
* Video staffer Nate Halm beat reliever James Russell on Sunday in the second round of the Cubs bunting tournament. Also advancing was bullpen catcher Andy Lane, Edwin Maysonet and Travis Wood.
* Rafael Dolis apparently is the designated time keeper. When he went onto the field for the pre-game stretch, he was wearing a large clock around his neck on a chain. At least he wasn’t late.
— Carrie Muskat