3/15 Extra bases
* Brett Jackson was scratched from the Cubs lineup for the exhibition game against Team Japan. He’s been bothered this spring by soreness in his throwing shoulder.
“It’s a little more than that [tightness, stiffness] to take himself out of the lineup,” Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. “It doesn’t bother him hitting, just pinches when he throws.”
* Junior Lake was assigned to the Cubs’ Minor League camp. He’s out with a fractured rib.
* Carlos Marmol was imitating Dominican Republic closer Fernando Rodney’s pose that he does after saving a game. Rodney pretends as if he’s shooting a bow and arrow. Marmol declined an invite to pitch for the Dominican team in the World Baseball Classic. Rodney is doing OK as the Dominican team is unbeaten.
“He’s doing a great job,” Marmol said.
* Starling Peralta, who was selected by the Diamondbacks in the Rule 5 Draft, was returned to the Cubs on Friday. Peralta was 5-8 with a 3.44 ERA in 20 games (17 starts) last season for Class A Peoria, striking out 86 over 99 1/3 inings. That included a 14 strikeout game Aug. 7 against Clinton.
“He’s a good kid and he loved it here,” Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. “He was disappointed he left. We liked him. Couldn’t work a deal out. He really liked it here, he fit in great. Great kid. He’s got a great arm, he’s got a great attitude, he’s got good stuff and it’s quite possible that over time he’ll develop into a pretty nice pitcher. I know he was really disappointed to leave here, he really enjoyed it here.”
* The Cubs’ split squad games continue this weekend. Half the team will be in Las Vegas to play the Rangers, the other half will play host to the Royals on Saturday at HoHoKam Stadium, and travel to Phoenix to play the Athletics on Sunday. Hisanori Takahashi will start Saturday vs. the Royals, and Scott Baker will make his first Cactus League start Sunday against the A’s. In Las Vegas, Jeff Samardzija will start Saturday and Carlos Villanueva on Sunday.
— Carrie Muskat