3/30 Cubs 6, Astros 6
Dioner Navarro hit his fifth spring home run and Darwin Barney delivered a go-ahead RBI single in the fifth but the Cubs and Astros finished in a 6-6 tie Friday night at Minute Maid Park. Chicago had runners on first and second in the 10th but Alfonso Soriano grounded into an inning-ending double play. Edwin Jackson struck out nine over four innings but also gave up five runs in the first two innings.
* Starlin Castro did rejoin the team on Friday. He had gone to New York to be with his girlfriend for the birth of the couple’s first child.
* The Cubs outrighted right-handed pitcher Guillermo Moscoso to Triple-A Iowa, which reduced the 40-man roster to 39. Moscoso was claimed off waivers from the Blue Jays on Wednesday.
* On Saturday, the Cubs close their spring exhibition schedule against the Astros, starting at 1:05 p.m. CT. Travis Wood is scheduled to start. The game will be broadcast on Cubs.com.
* The Cubs have 35 players in camp, including six non-roster invitees. There are 18 pitchers, four catchers, seven infielders and six outfielders. Among the roster moves to be made include placing Scott Baker, Matt Garza and Ian Stewart on the disabled list.
* The Cubs open the regular season Monday in Pittsburgh with first pitch scheduled for 12:35 p.m. CT. Jeff Samardzija will get things started against A.J. Burnett at PNC Park. The game will be broadcast on WGN TV and WGN Radio 720.