4/5 Minor matters
Rough start to the season for the Cubs’ Minor League affiliates.
* Albuquerque scored three runs in the first and added seven in the seventh to beat Iowa, 10-3, on Thursday. Starter Chris Rusin gave up two earned runs on four hits over five innings, striking out four. Jensen Lewis took the loss, giving up three earned runs on four hits over one-third of an inning. The I-Cubs did tie the game in the top of the fifth against reliever Red Patterson. With one out, Brian Bogusevic reached on an infield single for his third hit. Brad Nelson walked, and one out later, Ty Wright delivered a RBI single to tie the game. Wright and J.C. Boscan each had two hits.
* Matt Szczur went 3-for-4 and Arismendy Alcantara drove in three runs, hitting a two-run homer in the third, but it wasn’t enough as Tennessee lost 7-3 in the season opener to Pensacola. Dallas Beeler took the loss, giving up four runs on seven hits, including three home runs, over 5 1/3 innings. He struck out five.
* Jorge Soler was 2-for-3 and Javier Baez drove in a run in Daytona’s 4-3 loss to Brevard County. Daytona led 3-2, but Brevard County rallied in the seventh, tying the game on Cody Hawn’s RBI double and then taking the lead on Gregory Hopkins’ RBI single.
* Daniel Vogelbach had two hits and Rock Shoulders belted a two-run homer but it wasn’t enough as Kane County lost, 7-2, in the season opener. Quad Cities scored five runs in the second inning, taking advantage of one of three errors for the game by the Cougars. Pierce Johnson took the loss, giving up five runs on six hits over 2 1/3 innings.
* Class A Boise begins its season June 14.
— Carrie Muskat