4/17 Soler to return Thursday – UPDATE
Jorge Soler’s five-game suspension is over, and he was expected back in Daytona’s lineup on Thursday. Cubs farm director Brandon Hyde told the Daytona Beach News-Journal that’s when Soler would return.
“It’s time for him to get back to playing,” Hyde said.
Soler had been at the Cubs’ extended spring training camp in Mesa, Ariz., after being suspended last week by the Florida State League for “charging” the Clearwater Threshers’ dugout — with bat in hand — last Wednesday night during a game in Daytona. Soler played in games in Mesa on Saturday and Monday, going 1-for-8 with three strikeouts.
Soler, 21, who signed a nine-year $30 million contract with the Cubs last June, was batting .435 with two home runs and four RBIs before the incident.
Daytona manager Dave Keller told the Daytona Beach News-Journal that he talked to Soler Sunday.
“I called him to say ‘hi’ and let him know that I was thinking of him,” Keller told the News-Journal. “He told me he was doing good, and he must have thanked me four or five times for calling him. Other guys on the team have called him to let him know they were thinking of him, too.”
Keller said he looked forward to Soler rejoining the Daytona Cubs.
“I like Jorge, and from a baseball standpoint and a development standpoint, I’d love to have him back, because he was doing some really good things on the field,” Keller said. “There’s a lot of good things that are potentially going to happen with this guy.”
– Carrie Muskat