4/19 Cubs 6, Rangers 2
Notes from Thursday’s Cubs win over the Rangers:
* Starlin Castro extended his hitting streak to 10 games with a sixth-inning double, the 100th double of his career. He has eight hitting streaks of 10 or more games since the start of 2011, tied with the Yankees’ Robinson Cano for the most in the Majors in that span (thanks to STATS, Inc.). Castro also drew two walks Thursday, his first of the season.
* Anthony Rizzo’s third-inning, two-run homer traveled an estimated 475 feet, the longest home run hit in the Majors this season (courtesy of ESPN Stats & Info.).
* Welington Castillo had a career-high four hits, and has hit safely in nine of his first 11 games.
* Alfonso Soriano hit his first home run of the season in the third inning.
* Carlos Villanueva picked up his first win with the Cubs, throwing seven innings of four-hit ball. He is 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA (3 ER/21.0 IP) in three starts, the first pitcher to start his Cubs career with three-straight quality starts since Carlos Silva began the 2010 campaign with four-straight quality efforts.
* Cubs starting pitchers have a 3.15 ERA with eight quality starts in the first 14 games.
* David DeJesus is batting .455 in his last six games.
* Nate Schierholtz extended his hitting streak to seven games with a second-inning double.
* Luis Valbuena recorded his second multi-hit game of the season and has hit safely in six of his last nine games.
* James Russell has posted eight consecutive scoreless outings to open the season (5 1/3 IP).
* Carlos Marmol has thrown five consecutive scoreless outings, dating to April 8 vs. Milwaukee.