5/8 Extra bases
* Anthony Rizzo leads the NL and is tied for second in the Majors with 18 extra-base hits while David DeJesus is tied for ninth in the NL with 15. The Cubs’ 108 extra-base hits are second-most in the NL behind the Rockies (111).
* Travis Wood recorded his seventh-straight quality start to begin the season on Tuesday, the first Cubs lefty to accomplish the feat since Johnny Schmitz did so to start the 1948 campaign.
* Cubs third basemen have an .806 OPS this season, fourth-best in the NL, after recording a .611 OPS in 2012, second-lowest in the Majors.
* The Cubs have four starting pitchers with a season ERA of 3.09 or lower, the second-most in the Majors: Scott Feldman (2.70), Jeff Samardzija (3.09), Carlos Villanueva (2.85) and Travis Wood (2.33). The Cardinals feature a staff in which all five starters have sub-3.09 ERAs.
* Looking ahead to the Cubs weekend series in Washington against the Nationals, here are the pitching matchups:
Friday: RHP Jeff Samardzija (1-4, 3.09) vs. LHP Ross Detwiler (1-3, 2.50)
Saturday: RHP Edwin Jackson (0-5, 6.39) vs. RHP Stephen Strasburg (1-4, 3.45)
Sunday: RHP Scott Feldman (3-3, 2.70) vs. LHP Gio Gonzalez (3-2, 4.97)
— Carrie Muskat