6/23 Minor matters
* Chris Rusin gave up six runs over six innings in Iowa’s 6-2 loss to Memphis. Brian Bogusevic had two hits and stole a base. Brad Nelson also had two hits, including a double.
* Matt Szczur went 4-for-5 with three RBIs in Tennessee’s 11-8 loss to Chattanooga. Ty Wright was 2-for-3 and Jonathan Mota went 2-for-5.
* Javier Baez hit his 16th home run, a solo shot in the first, and Zach Cates gave up one run over 6 2/3 innings in Daytona’s 2-1 win over Dunedin. Baez had two hits, and two RBIs. His 52 RBIs are tied for fifth in the Florida State League. Dustin Geiger had two hits and a stole a base.
Baez connected off Kyle Drabek, who was making his first start since elbow surgery. Baez also hit a RBI single in the third.
“It doesn’t matter who is on the mound — he has to throw strikes,” Baez told the Daytona Beach News-Journal.
Baez now is tied for first in the Florida State League with 16 home runs. He’s the active leader, as the other two players were promoted to Double-A.
Jorge Soler still sidelined with a sore left shin.
* Albert Almora and Rock Shoulders both homered in Kane County’s 6-5, 11-inning loss to Quad Cities. Shoulders had two hits and scored two runs.
* Justin Marra hit his first home run in Boise’s 3-2 loss to Spokane in the first game of a doubleheader. In the second game, Shawon Dunston Jr. hit his first home run in a 4-3 loss.
* Alexander Santana gave up three runs over 4 2/3 innings in Mesa’s 7-5, 10-inning loss to the Diamondbacks. The Rookie League team committed three errors.