8/10 Extra bases
* With 3-0 victories both on July 11 at Wrigley Field and Friday at Busch Stadium, the Cubs have shut out the Cardinals twice in the same season for the first time since 2010, and the second time in the last 16 years.
* The Cubs look for their first series victory at Busch Stadium since sweeping the Cardinals in a three-game set, Sept. 13-15, 2010. Chicago is 0-6-1 in the last seven series in St. Louis.
* Welington Castillo is hitting .405 (15-for-37) with three doubles, a home run, four RBI and a .522 on-base percentage (eight walks/six strikeouts) in his last 13 games since July 25. His .405 average since July 25 ranks first among big league catchers and fifth overall in the Majors.
* Carlos Villanueva is looking for his first victory in a starting role since April 18 vs. Texas. He’s left four starts with a lead since then. The Cubs have scored two or fewer runs while Villanueva’s been in the game in nine of his 14 starts while he’s received no-decisions in six starts that he’s left with the lead.
* J.C. Boscan, selected Thursday from Triple-A Iowa, looks to become the 50th player to appear for the Cubs this season. The record for a single-season is 53, set last year.
* Friday’s win was the Cubs’ first in which it did not record an extra-base hit since April 23, 2012, in a 3-2 win vs. the Cardinals at Wrigley Field.