4/30 Cubs lineup and more
Hopefully, it stays dry for the Cubs and Reds as they wrap their rain-shortened series tonight at Great American Ball Park in Cincinnati. Here’s the lineup:
* The Cubs are 8-17 this month; they were 10-16 in the first month last year.
* Jason Hammel’s four April victories are the most for a Cubs pitcher since both Ryan Dempster and Carlos Zambrano had four apiece in the first month of 2008. The last Cubs hurler to have more victories in April was Greg Maddux (five in 2006).
* Cubs hurlers enter Wednesday’s game with a 3.78 ERA (95 ER/226 1/3 IP). Cubs pitchers had a 3.78 ERA (97 ER/231 IP) through April of last season.
* Chicago’s batters have hit .231 (197-for-851) thus far, four points lower than their .235 average (208-for-885) in April of last season.
* In case you missed it, Cubs manager Rick Renteria was ejected Tuesday night less than three minutes after the Cubs and Reds resumed play following the third rain delay. Renteria was unhappy with home plate umpire Alan Porter regarding his calls during Joey Votto’s at-bat against the Cubs’ Zac Rosscup.
“He tossed me because you can’t question balls and strikes, obviously,” Renteria said. “And that’s what I was doing.”
* Looking ahead to the Cubs’ series against the Cardinals, here are the pitching matchups:
Friday, 1:20 p.m. CT: LHP Travis Wood (1-3, 3.52) vs. RHP Adam Wainwright (5-1, 1.20)
Saturday, 12:05 p.m. CT: RHP Jake Arrieta (0-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Michael Wacha (2-2, 2.48)
Sunday, 7:05 p.m. CT: RHP Jason Hammel (4-1, 2.08) vs. RHP Lance Lynn (4-1, 3.60)
— Carrie Muskat