6/27 Cubs lineup
Jason Hammel is 6-0 in his career against the Nationals, and will take the mound Friday at Wrigley Field in the second game of the Cubs’ three-day, four-game series vs. Washington. Here’s the lineup:
* Note no Junior Lake. He crashed into a metal door in the outfield wall in Thursday’s game and he was to be re-evaluated Friday.
* Starlin Castro has 21 RBI this month, third-most in the NL. He’s the fourth Cubs shortstop to reach at least 21 RBI in the month of June, joining Hall of Famer Ernie Banks (26 RBI in June 1959 and 32 RBI in June 1960), Roy Smalley (25 RBI in June 1950) and Shawon Dunston (21 RBI in June 1988).
* The Cubs’ bullpen has a 3.11 season ERA, which ranks fourth-lowest in the NL. It’s also more than a full run lower than the bullpen’s 4.22 ERA through its first 77 games of last year.
* Dallas Beeler is slated to make his Major League debut in the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader. He’ll be the first pitcher to make his big league debut in a starting role for the Cubs since Chris Rusin did so, Aug. 21, 2012, in Milwaukee, and just the 17th since the start of the 2000 season.
* Anthony Rizzo has 14 homers since April 30, the most in the NL and tied for fifth in the Majors. Rizzo racked up his sixth game of three or more hits this season on Thursday. According to Elias, the only players with more three-hit games as a first baseman this season are Freddie Freeman (nine) and Miguel Cabrera (eight).
– Carrie Muskat