Results tagged ‘ Christian Villanueva ’
* Christian Villanueva hit a tie-breaking sacrifice fly in the eighth to lift Obregon to a 6-5 victory over Jalisco in the Mexican League semifinals on Monday night. The best-of-seven series is now tied at one win apiece with Game 3 scheduled for Wednesday.
* Javier Baez hit a walkoff RBI single with two outs in the 10th inning to lift Santurce to a 5-4 victory Monday over Caguas in the Puerto Rico round robin playoffs. Baez went 2-for-6 with an RBI, a stolen base, and he scored a run. Santurce (6-2) plays Carolina (3-5) on Tuesday.
* Christian Villanueva hit a three-run homer with one out in the eighth to lift Obregon to a 6-4 victory over Mexicali Sunday and take a 2-1 lead in the first round of the Mexican winter league playoffs. It’s a best-of-seven series, and continues Monday.
* Javier Baez hit a RBI single with one out in the third inning to help Santurce beat Caguas, 9-1, and improve to 3-0 in the round robin playoffs in Puerto Rico.
Cubs prospect Christian Villanueva hit a two-run single with one out in the ninth to tie the game and then smacked a game-winning sacrifice fly in the 11th to give Obregon a 7-6 victory Sunday over Hermosillo.
Christian Villanueva was 4-for-4, including a grand slam, for Obregon in a 16-7 loss Tuesday night to Culiacan in Mexico Winter League play. The third baseman was batting .273 with six home runs.
Arismendy Alcantara was 2-for-5 with a double in Licey’s 5-3 win over Aguilas in the Dominican Republic. Alcantara is batting .325 this winter.
In Puerto Rico, John Andreoli was 2-for-4 with a solo home run and scored two runs in the Senadores 6-2 win over Carolina.
Christian Villanueva hit two home runs, and Javier Baez and Arismendy Alcantara each hit one homer to help Iowa beat Round Rock 6-2 Wednesday. Eric Jokisch gave up one earned run on six hits over seven innings for the win. He struck out seven. Baez now has hit in six straight games and was batting .178 for the season.
Mobile first baseman Jon Griffin hit four home runs to tie a Southern League record and beat Tennessee, 17-7. Kris Bryant did hit his 12th home run, a solo shot in the first. Joel Pineiro took the loss, giving up eight runs — five earned — on 10 hits over four innings. Wes Darvill also homered. It was the second time in Southern League history a player has homered four times. On July 1, 1969, George Kalafatis of the Montgomery Biscuits did so.
Marco Hernandez had two hits, including a home run and a double, and drove in three runs in Daytona’s 4-2 win over Bradenton. Gioskar Amaya had three hits and one RBI.
Duane Underwood gave up two hits over five shutout innings in Kane County’s 8-2 win over Wisconsin. The Cougars have won 30 games, tops in the Midwest League. Ben Carhart had three hits and one RBI. Daniel Lockhart had two RBI.
On Thursday, Charlie Cutler hit a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the ninth and drove in three runs in the game to lead Tennessee to a 6-5 win over Mobile. Bryant reached base five times, and drove in three runs with a bases-clearing double. Corey Black started and gave up one run on three hits and three walks over five innings. Arodys Vizcaino picked up the win in relief.
* Christian Villanueva hit a go-ahead three-run home run in the sixth to back Tsuyoshi Wada and lead the Iowa Cubs to a 4-1 victory over Nashville on Monday. Wada retired 20 of the 24 Sounds hitters he faced, struck out eight and walked one over 6 2/3 innings. He did serve up a second inning home run to Eugenio Velez.
Nashville starter Ariel Pena took a no-hitter into the fifth, when Iowa finally scored. Brett Jackson snapped an 0-for-12 start with a triple and he scored on Eli Whiteside’s single. The Iowa Cubs rallied off reliever Kyle Heckathorn with two outs in the sixth. Matt Szczur walked and Chris Coghlan singled to set up Villanueva’s first home run.
Blake Parker struck out two in the ninth for the save. The I-Cubs stole four bases. On Tuesday, the two teams square off again as Chris Rusin makes his second start against Mike Fiers.
* Michael Lorenzen struck out seven over seven scoreless innings as Pensacola beat Tennessee, 3-2. Lorenzen had a perfect game through four, and Dustin Geiger broke up the no-hit bid with a single to start the fifth. Geiger also hit a home run in the ninth. Smokies starter Matt Loosen gave up three runs on six hits over five innings.
* Rock Shoulders had two hits, including a double, and two RBI but it wasn’t enough as Daytona lost 5-4 to Brevard County. Jeimer Candelario also had two hits, including a triple, and one RBI.
* Luis Valbuena went 2-for-3, scored two runs and drove in another in Lara’s 7-2 victory over Zulia in Venezuela. Valbuena, who has only played second base, is now batting .346.
* Junior Lake hit a double and drove in two runs in Estrellas’ 4-2 win over Licey in the Dominican Republic.
* Christian Villanueva had one hit and one RBIs in Obregon’s 10-3 loss to Los Mochis in Mexico.
* Luis Valbuena went 2-for-5 in Lara’s 9-8 loss to Caracas in Venezuelan winter league play. Valbuena started his fourth straight game at second base.
* Christian Villanueva was 1-for-2 in Obregon’s 4-3, 10-inning loss to Hermosillo in Mexican winter league play. Villanueva is batting .256.
* Albert Almora and Jorge Soler each drove in a run to help the Mesa Solar Sox beat Peoria, 8-1, on Tuesday in Arizona Fall League play. Kris Bryant also started, and went 1-for-4. It was the Solar Sox’s fourth straight win and they improved to 17-11-1 with two games to play. On Wednesday, the Solar Sox play host to Glendale at HoHoKam Stadium, and they wrap up the regular season Thursday at Glendale. The AFL championship game will be played Saturday at Scottsdale Stadium. The Surprise Saguaros have clinched the West Division. The Solar Sox have a slight edge in the East over the Salt River Rafters.
* Christian Villanueva went 3-for-4 with a double, a home run and one RBI in Obregon’s 7-4 win Tuesday over Mexicali in Mexican Winter League play.
* Junior Lake was 2-for-4 with one RBI in Estrellas de Oriente’s 3-2 loss Tuesday to Toros del Este in Dominican Winter League play. Lake was batting .314 in nine games.
– Carrie Muskat
Some updates on Cubs prospects currently playing winter ball:
* Arismendy Alcantara was batting .167 in six games with Licey in the Dominican Winter League.
* Christian Villanueva was batting .296 (8-for-27) with two home runs in eight games for Obregon in the Mexican Winter League.
* Marcus Hatley has struck out 10 and walked one over 6 2/3 innings and given up one earned runs in seven relief appearances for the Tomateros in Mexico.
* Hector Rondon has given up two hits in three scoreless innings in three appearances for Leones in Venezuela Winter League play.