Results tagged ‘ Daytona ’
Will the Cubs keep their affiliation in Daytona? What about Boise? Kane County? Major League teams are in a two-week period in which they are free to explore possible moves for their Minor League properties, which are owned independently but are part of a business relationship with the big league team.
The Cubs did not renew their agreement with Boise. Hawks GM Todd Rahr said Friday the Cubs had until 10 p.m. MT Thursday to do so. Rahr said: “We’re technically free agents right now.”
The Cubs also may be ending their relationship with Daytona.
“It’s clear that the Cubs are looking at other options,” Daytona team owner Andy Rayburn told the Daytona News-Journal on Friday.
The Daytona Cubs have been part of the 12-team Florida State League for the past 22 seasons.
The Cubs also have not renewed their contract with Kane County.
The Cubs do have a contract with Iowa, home for their Triple-A team, that runs through the 2016 season, and the Cubs and Double-A Tennessee announced a four-year extension that runs through 2018.
— Carrie Muskat
Daytona’s season is over after losing 4-2 in 11 innings Monday to Fort Myers in the Florida State League championship game. Jason Kanzler hit a tie-brekaing two-run homer in the 11th off Daytona’s Stephen Perakslis that was the difference. Dan Vogelbach scored in the fourth on an error, and doubled to lead off the sixth and scored on another error. Vogelbach, who will play in the Arizona Fall League, hit .273.
Kane County faces Lake County in the best of five Midwest League championship series, starting Wednesday at Fifth Third Bank ballpark in Geneva, IL.
Daytona scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth on Wilson Contreras’ home run to beat Fort Myers, 8-7, in Game 3 of the FSL championship. Fort Myers leads the best of five series, 2-1. Contreras was 3-for-3 with a double as well as his home run. Ben Carhart and Billy McKinney each had two hits.
Kane County scored four runs in the final three innings to beat Cedar Rapids, 5-2. The Cougars are one win away from advancing to the Midwest League championship, and play host to Cedar Rapids today. Mark Zagunis had two hits, including a solo home run in the ninth. Michael Heesch picked up the win in relief.
* Daytona lost, 5-0, to Fort Myers in the second game of the best of five Florida State League championship. Justin Amlung took the loss, giving up three runs on seven hits over 4 2/3 innings. Wes Darvill, Marco Hernandez and Gioskar Amaya each had two hits. Daytona left 12 runners on base and went 0-for-9 with RISP.
* Kane County faced Cedar Rapids in the second round of the Midwest League playoffs.
The Office of the Commissioner of Baseball announced today that Cubs Minor League shortstop Elliot Soto has been suspended following his violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program. Soto received a 50-game suspension without pay after a second violation for a drug of abuse. The suspension of Soto, who is currently on the roster of the Class A Daytona Cubs of the Florida State League, will be effective at the start of next season.
* C.J. Edwards and Ryan Searle combined on a one-hitter to help Daytona beat Charlotte, 4-0, and win the Florida State League championship Monday night. Edwards, acquired from the Rangers in the Mat Garza deal, threw five one-hit innings and Searle threw four innings in relief to give Daytona its sixth FSL title and second in the last three years.
Dan Vogelbach hit a RBI single in the first, and Daytona added two more in the second, taking advantage of two errors. Elliot Soto added a RBI single in the ninth.
Daytona now has won the FSL championship in 1995, 2000, ’04, ’08, ’11 and this year.
* Tennessee was unable to overcome a four-run fourth inning and fell to Birmingham, 7-4, Monday in the North Division Champinship Series. The Smokies were ousted in the best of five series, 3-2. Tennessee ended 2013 with a 76-62 regular season record.
Christian Villanueva hit a RBI single in the first to give Tennessee a lead but Birmingham scored twice in the second off Neil Ramirez to go ahead, 2-1. Arismendy Alcantara hit a RBI single in the Smokies’ second to tie the game. In the fourth, the Barons took advantage of errors to take a 6-2 lead. Birmingham loaded the bases and Micah Johnson hit a groundball to Alcantara, who misplayed it for an error, allowing two runs to score. On the same play, a throwing error by catcher Taylor Davis allowed another run to score. Two batters later, an error by Javier Baez allowed the fourth run to score. Baez did hit a two-run homer in the fifth to close to 6-4.
* Boise was held to four hits in a 5-0 loss to Vancouver, which won the Northwest League Championship game. The Hawks best scoring chance came in the seventh when Rony Rodriguez doubled to lead off, and advanced on a ground out. But Alonzo Gonzalez replaced starter Tom Robson, and struck out Justin Marra and David Bote. Robson gave up three hits over 6 1/3 innings, striking out two.
* Tennessee beat Birmingham, 10-7, in a slugfest on Sunday to even the best-of-five Southern League North Division Championship Series at two wins apiece. The deciding Game 5 will be Monday. Neil Ramirez is scheduled to start for the Smokies.
The Smokies totaled 11 hits. Matt Szczur and Jonathan Mota each had three RBIs and Arismendy Alcantara hit a two-run single in the third and Taylor Davis hit a two-run double in the sixth. Szczur hit a two-run double with two outs in the fourth and added a sacrifice fly in the eighth. Mota hit a RBI single in the fourth and a two-run triple in the eighth.
* Jonathan Quinonez delivered a pinch-hit solo home run in the eighth and a walkoff RBI single in the ninth to lead Charlotte over Daytona and post a 3-2 victory in the Florida State League Championship. The two teams will meet on Monday in Game 4 in the best-of-five series.
Corey Black gave up one hit over six scoreless innings, and Dan Vogelbach and Chadd Krist each drove in a run. Vogelbach hit a RBI single in the first, and Krist hit a RBI double in the seventh. Pin-Chieh Chen also had three hits. Charlotte then scored in the eighth on Quinonez’s solo home run, and rain stopped play for 1 hour 33 minutes.
When play resumed, Charlotte had Ryan McChesney at second with one out in the eighth, and McChesney tried to score on Jake Hager’s single. But center fielder Zeke DeVoss threw McChesney out at home. Charlotte manager Brady Williams argued the call, and was ejected. Willie Argo then grounded out to end the inning.
Jeff Malm hit a game-tying RBI single with one out in the Charlotte ninth off Zach Cates, and Quinonez, who stayed in the game in left, delivered the game-winning RBI single.
* Vancouver beat Boise, 4-2, on Sunday to force a third and decisive game Monday to decide the Northwest League champion in the best of three series. Corbin Hoffner took the loss, giving up three runs on five hits over 1 2/3 innings in front of 4,655. Boise starter Paul Blackburn struck out nine over five innings, and gave up one run on three hits. Jordan Hankins hit a RBI double in the second for Boise to tie the game at 1. The Hawks didn’t score again until the eighth when pinch-hitter Jesse Hodges doubled and eventually scored on Danny Lockhart’s single.
Tennessee scored six runs in the eighth to beat Birmingham 9-2 and avoid elimination in Game 3 of the best of five Southern League North Division playoffs. Javier Baez hit a two-run homer in the first to back Eric Jokisch, who gave up two runs over 7 2/3 innings. John Andreoli had two doubles and two RBIs, and Matt Szczur had one RBIs. The two teams meet in Game 4 today.
Daytona needs one more win to claim the Florida State League Championship after beating Charlotte, 2-0, in Game 2. Ivan Pineyro threw seven shutout innings, giving up three hits and striking out seven. Pineyro struck out the first five batters he faced. Kris Bryant hit a double, Dan Vogelbach hit a RBI single in the first, and Chadd Krist had one RBIs. The two teams meet tonight for Game 3.
Boise will try to win its first Northwest League title since 2004 today in the Northwest League Championship Series. Jose Rosario was scheduled to start against Vancouver. The Hawks lead the best of three series, 2-0.
Class A Daytona’s second game of the Florida State League Championship against Charlotte Friday was postponed because of rain and the two teams will try to play Saturday. On Thursday, Daytona beat Charlotte, 5-0, in the first game. Pierce Johnson struck out six over five scoreless innings for the win, and Pin-Chieh Chen hit a three-run double. Dustin Geiger drove in two runs.
* Daytona beat Charlotte, 5-0, on Thursday in the first game of the Florida State League Championship. Pierce Johnson struck out six over five scoreless innings for the win. The Cubs tallied in the first on Dustin Geiger’s run-scoring groundout. Daytona scored three runs in the second on Pin-Chieh Chen’s three-run double. Geiger added a RBI double in the fourth. Game 2 will be played Friday in Daytona.
* Tennessee lost 3-1 on Thursday to Birmingham in the first game of the Southern League North Division Championship Series in front of 4,862 at Regions Field. Trayce Thompson hit a leadoff home run in the fourth off Smokies starter Nick Struck (0-1). Tennessee answered in the fifth when Rubi Silva connected on a homer off Barons starter Chris Bassitt to tie the game at 1. Thompson and Dan Black each hit RBI singles in the Barons’ fifth. Bassitt picked up the win, giving up one run on three hits. Game Two of the best-of-five series is Friday at Regions Field in Birmingham, Ala., and Dae-Eun Rhee (5-1, 3.34) will start for Tennessee.