Results tagged ‘ Dustin Geiger ’
Iowa’s game against Omaha Wednesday was postponed for the second straight day. The two teams were scheduled to play two seven-inning games in a doubleheader on Thursday. Iowa won the first game, 1-0, as Tsuyoshi Wada gave up two hits over five scoreless innings. Matt Szczur drove in the only run. Carlos Pimentel started the second game.
Dustin Geiger had two hits and two RBIs, John Andreoli had two hits, and Rafael Lopez hit a go-ahead home run in the seventh to lead Tennessee to a 4-3 victory over Chattanooga and Major League pitcher Clayton Kershaw. Kershaw was on a rehab assignment for the parent Dodgers, and gave up two runs (one earned) on six hits and two walks over five innings. He struck out nine in front of a sellout crowd of 6,318 in Chattanooga. Both of Geiger’s hits came off Kershaw.
Dan Vogelbach had three hits and one RBIs in Daytona’s 11-2 loss to Lakeland. Yao-Lin Wang took the loss, giving up nine runs (six earned) on nine hits over five innings. Rock Shoulders drove in a run for his 13th RBIs of the season.
Kane County’s game at Cedar Rapids was postponed because of the weather. The two teams were scheduled to play a doubleheader on Thursday.
Dustin Geiger had two hits and two RBIs, John Andreoli had two hits, and Rafael Lopez hit a go-ahead home run in the seventh to lead Double-A Tennessee to a 4-3 victory Wednesday night over Chattanooga and Major League pitcher Clayton Kershaw.
Kershaw was on a rehab assignment for the parent Dodgers, and gave up two runs (one earned) on six hits and two walks over five innings. He struck out nine in front of a sellout crowd of 6,318 in Chattanooga.
Both of Geiger’s hits came off Kershaw.
Smokies starter Ivan Pineyro struck out six gave up three runs on seven hits and three walks over 5 2/3 innings. Ryan Searle picked up the win in relief.
Kershaw walked Andreoli to start the game, and gave up a two-out RBI double to Geiger in the first. Geiger added a RBI single in the fifth.
Kris Bryant, ranked No. 2 on MLB.com’s list of top 20 Cubs prospects, went 0-for-5 in the game, and got tangled up with first baseman O’Koyea Dickson when he reached on an error in the first. Bryant was not injured and stayed in the game.
Kershaw, who has been sidelined with a strained upper back, threw 86 pitches in his second rehab start, including 29 in the first inning.
– Carrie Muskat
Iowa’s game at Colorado Springs was postponed because of high winds and freezing temperatures. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on June 26.
Dustin Geiger hit a solo home run to help Tennessee beat Huntsville, 2-1. Pierce Johnson gave up one hit but walked eight over four innings. Armando Rivero picked up the save.
Wilson Contreras delivered a walkoff RBI single to lift Daytona to a 2-1 victory over Brevard County. Gioskar Amaya had three hits and Jeimer Candelario had two hits, including a double, and one RBI.
Jen-Ho Tseng struck out seven over five innings in Kane County’s 10-2 win over Wisconsin. Will Remillard had three hits, including a home run, and three RBIs. Jacob Hannemann had three hits and four RBIs.
* Chris Valaika hit a walk-off RBI single to lift Iowa to a 4-3 win over Memphis on Sunday. Iowa erased a 2-1 deficit when Javier Baez hit a pinch-hit home run in the seventh. It was his first Triple-A hit in 10 at-bats. Eric Jokisch started, and gave up two runs, none earned, on six hits over seven innings. Josh Vitters was 3-for-4.
The home run for Baez came one day after he was ejected for arguing balls and strikes. Baez’s frustration carried over into the dugout where he and catcher Eli Whiteside were involved in an altercation, according to the Des Moines Register.
“I was mad, he was mad, everybody was mad,” Baez told the Des Moines Register. “We argued a little. Nothing personal.”
Baez talked to Whiteside on Sunday, and patched things up. Baez is aware of the high expectations on him.
“I don’t really care about what other people think,” he told the Des Moines Register. “I’ll do my job and I’ll do the best I can for my teammates and for the team.”
* Dustin Geiger hit a solo home run in the ninth but it wasn’t enough as Tennessee lost 3-2 to Pensacola on Sunday. Geiger was 2-for-3. Ivan Pineyro started, and gave up two runs over four innings.
* Daytona was off on Sunday and scheduled to return to action Monday against Brevard County.
* Quad Cities scored five runs in the seventh to beat Kane County, 7-3. Juan Paniagua started and gave up two runs on three hits and four walks over four innings.
Another photo from Cubs prospect Dustin Geiger, who is already in Mesa, Ariz., prepping for Spring Training. I asked if he could send some pictures of sunshine since it’s so cold here in Chicago, and he obliged. Tickets for spring games go on sale Saturday and there will be an open house on Jan. 25 at the new Cubs Park in Mesa. Pitchers and catchers report on Feb. 13.
* Daytona beat Charlotte, 5-0, on Thursday in the first game of the Florida State League Championship. Pierce Johnson struck out six over five scoreless innings for the win. The Cubs tallied in the first on Dustin Geiger’s run-scoring groundout. Daytona scored three runs in the second on Pin-Chieh Chen’s three-run double. Geiger added a RBI double in the fourth. Game 2 will be played Friday in Daytona.
* Tennessee lost 3-1 on Thursday to Birmingham in the first game of the Southern League North Division Championship Series in front of 4,862 at Regions Field. Trayce Thompson hit a leadoff home run in the fourth off Smokies starter Nick Struck (0-1). Tennessee answered in the fifth when Rubi Silva connected on a homer off Barons starter Chris Bassitt to tie the game at 1. Thompson and Dan Black each hit RBI singles in the Barons’ fifth. Bassitt picked up the win, giving up one run on three hits. Game Two of the best-of-five series is Friday at Regions Field in Birmingham, Ala., and Dae-Eun Rhee (5-1, 3.34) will start for Tennessee.
Brooks Raley gave up one run on one hit and two walks over five innings in Iowa’s 3-2 loss to Nashville. The I-Cubs were eliminated from the playoffs with the loss. Brad Nelson hit his 20th home run, a solo shot. Mike Olt had three hits.
Eduardo Figueroa threw six shutout innings, giving up one hit and walking one, in Tennessee’s 12-1 win over Chattanooga. Justin Bour was a triple shy of the cycle, finishing with a double, a homer and a season-high six RBIs. Brett Jackson had two hits, including a double and a triple. Christian Villanueva had two hits and two RBIs. He leads the Southern League with 41 doubles.
Kris Bryant, Dustin Geiger, Bijan Rademacher, Pin-Chieh Chen and Zeke DeVoss each homered in Daytona’s 11-6 win over Brevard County. For Bryant, it was his second homer in the last three games. Chen smacked a two-run blast. Ivan Pineyro gave up four runs over five innings.
Starling Peralta gave up eight runs over four innings in Kane County’s 8-2 loss to Cedar Rapids. Carlos Escobar had three hits and Reggie Golden had two hits.
Duane Underwood gave up eight runs — four earned — over three innings in Boise’s 10-6 loss to Salem-Keizer. Dan Lockhart had two hits.
Mesa’s season ended Thursday at 27-28.