Results tagged ‘ Eric Jokisch ’
Eric Jokisch gave up three hits over 8 1/3 innings and picked up the win in Iowa’s 12-3 victory over Colorado Springs. Arismendy Alcantara, Javier Baez and Chris Valaika combined to go 11-for-12. Alcantara had four hits and scored four runs. Valaika also had four hits. Baez had three RBIs with two doubles.
Kris Bryant hit his 14th home run, tops in the Southern League, but it wasn’t enough as Tennessee lost, 5-4, to Huntsville. Bryant had two hits and was batting .337 overall. He is hitting .391 this month. Joel Pineiro gave up three runs on eight hits over 6 1/3 innings.
Daytona had Monday off, and will play Palm Beach tonight. Tayler Scott is scheduled to start for the Cubs.
Jordan Hankins hit a pinch-hit solo homer in the bottom of the 11th to lift Kane County over Peoria, 5-4. Jacob Rogers also homered, his fourth this season. James Pugliese gave up two hits over three innings, and now has a 0.64 ERA in eight games this month.
Christian Villanueva hit two home runs, and Javier Baez and Arismendy Alcantara each hit one homer to help Iowa beat Round Rock 6-2 Wednesday. Eric Jokisch gave up one earned run on six hits over seven innings for the win. He struck out seven. Baez now has hit in six straight games and was batting .178 for the season.
Mobile first baseman Jon Griffin hit four home runs to tie a Southern League record and beat Tennessee, 17-7. Kris Bryant did hit his 12th home run, a solo shot in the first. Joel Pineiro took the loss, giving up eight runs — five earned — on 10 hits over four innings. Wes Darvill also homered. It was the second time in Southern League history a player has homered four times. On July 1, 1969, George Kalafatis of the Montgomery Biscuits did so.
Marco Hernandez had two hits, including a home run and a double, and drove in three runs in Daytona’s 4-2 win over Bradenton. Gioskar Amaya had three hits and one RBI.
Duane Underwood gave up two hits over five shutout innings in Kane County’s 8-2 win over Wisconsin. The Cougars have won 30 games, tops in the Midwest League. Ben Carhart had three hits and one RBI. Daniel Lockhart had two RBI.
On Thursday, Charlie Cutler hit a walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the ninth and drove in three runs in the game to lead Tennessee to a 6-5 win over Mobile. Bryant reached base five times, and drove in three runs with a bases-clearing double. Corey Black started and gave up one run on three hits and three walks over five innings. Arodys Vizcaino picked up the win in relief.
* Mike Fiers struck out a career-high 13 hitters over 6 2/3 shutout innings to lead Nashville to a 10-1 win over Iowa. Fiers’ only loss of the season was to Iowa in his last start. This time, he dominated the I-Cubs. Eric Jokisch took the loss, giving up five earned runs on a season-high nine hits over a season-low four innings. Nashville totaled 18 hits, the most the Iowa team has served up this season in a single game. Josh Vitters drove in Iowa’s only run in the eighth with a RBI single, his 18th RBI of the season. Chris Valaika and manager Marty Pevey were both ejected after the eighth for arguing a close play at first.
* Stephen Bruno set single-game career highs with four hits, four RBI and two home runs in Tennessee’s comeback 10-6 win over Jackson. Bruno was 4-for-6 with three runs, a single and two homers. In 10 games in May, Bruno is 21-for-40 with four home runs, 16 RBI and 16 runs scored.
Kris Bryant went 2-for-5 with a home run and two RBI. He leads the Southern League with 10 homers. Jeudy Valdez also hit a game tying home run in the fourth.
* Albert Almora scored a run and stole a base but it wasn’t enough as Daytona lost, 5-2, to Brevard County. Jose Rosario took the loss, giving up one earned run over five innings. Bijan Rademacher had two hits and one RBI.
* Jordan Hankins hit a game-winning RBI single in the 11th to lift Kane County to a 2-1 win over Burlington. Jose Arias and James Pugliese combined for six hitless innings and 13 strikeouts.
Arismendy Alcantara homered to back Eric Jokisch and help Iowa beat Round Rock 10-3. Jokisch gave up three runs over seven innings and struck out eight. Alcantara had two hits and two RBI. Javier Baez also had two hits, including a triple, and three RBIs.
Pierce Johnson was activated from the DL, and made his first start for Tennessee. Johnson took the loss in a 14-3 decision against Birmingham. Kris Bryant had three hits, including a double, and was batting .311.
Tayler Scott gave up three runs — one earned — over 5 1/3 innings in Daytona’s 18-5 win over Clearwater. Rock Shoulders had three hits, including his second home run, and four RBIs. Pin-Chieh Chen had four hits, including two triples and a double, and three RBIs.
Paul Blackburn gave up one run on five hits over 5 1/3 innings in Kane County’s 5-4 win over Beloit. Yasiel Balaguert drove in a run and his 15 RBIs rank second in the league.
* Top prospect Javier Baez is projected as the starting shortstop at Triple-A Iowa but will get some playing time at second base in Cactus League games, beginning next week, Cubs manager Rick Renteria said Wednesday.
“We want to still be able to see him work and play at different positions,” Renteria said. “We still haven’t gotten him over at second base. We plan on doing it Monday or Tuesday. We’ll go from there, maybe working him at third.”
Baez has been working with infield coach Gary Jones at second and third.
* Jason Hammel and Eric Jokisch will face Minor Leaguers on Thursday, which is an off day for the Cubs, so they can stay on schedule. Hammel has made one Cactus League start last Saturday against the Reds, and gave up two hits over three innings. The right-hander admitted he had a few butterflies before the game, his first with the Cubs.
* Sunday’s Cubs game against the Indians in Mesa will be telecast on Comcast SportsNet and will be entirely commercial free. According to a Comcast spokesman, the broadcast will feature interviews and features on players and coaches. The broadcast will begin at 3 p.m. CT.
* The ninth Annual “Race to Wrigley” 5k will be held April 12 at Wrigley Field. Voted “Best 5k in the Midwest” in 2013 by Competitor magazine, last year’s event drew approximately 6,000 runners and raised more than $300,000 for Cubs Charities and the Ann & and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago.
The top fundraising team and individual fundraiser will receive tickets to the April 22 Cubs game against the Diamondbacks and be recognized in a pre-game ceremony. Anyone who raises more than $1,000 will have the opportunity to run a post-race victory lap around the ballpark’s warning track. For more information and to register, go to http://www.racetowrigley.com.
– Carrie Muskat
After an all-day rain on Saturday, it’s a beautiful day Sunday in Mesa, and the Cubs will play host to the Royals at Cubs Park. Here’s the lineup:
E. Jackson P
On Monday, the Cubs will play a “B” game against the Giants at Cubs Park in Mesa, starting at 10 a.m. MT. Jason Hammel will start that game. They were originally scheduled to play the Angels, but now will deal with the Giants. Here’s the lineup:
“B” Game vs. Angels
The rest of the Cubs will face the Brewers in Maryvale on Monday. Eric Jokisch gets the start. Here’s that lineup:
As always, the lineups are subject to change.
– Carrie Muskat
Tennessee scored six runs in the eighth to beat Birmingham 9-2 and avoid elimination in Game 3 of the best of five Southern League North Division playoffs. Javier Baez hit a two-run homer in the first to back Eric Jokisch, who gave up two runs over 7 2/3 innings. John Andreoli had two doubles and two RBIs, and Matt Szczur had one RBIs. The two teams meet in Game 4 today.
Daytona needs one more win to claim the Florida State League Championship after beating Charlotte, 2-0, in Game 2. Ivan Pineyro threw seven shutout innings, giving up three hits and striking out seven. Pineyro struck out the first five batters he faced. Kris Bryant hit a double, Dan Vogelbach hit a RBI single in the first, and Chadd Krist had one RBIs. The two teams meet tonight for Game 3.
Boise will try to win its first Northwest League title since 2004 today in the Northwest League Championship Series. Jose Rosario was scheduled to start against Vancouver. The Hawks lead the best of three series, 2-0.
Justin Grimm gave up one earned run over five innings in Iowa’s 7-6 win over Omaha. Luis Flores hit a solo home run and Edwin Maysonet had three RBIs. Dave Sappelt and Edgar Gonzalez each drove in a run.
Eric Jokisch gave up two hits over six scoreless innings in Tennessee’s 4-2 win over Mobile. Arismendy Alcantara hit a solo home run and Jonathan Mota had two hits. It was Jokisch’s fifth straight quality start.
Dustin Geiger and Chad Krist each hit home runs to help Daytona beat Dunedin, 6-4, in the completion of Monday’s game. In the second game, Kyler Burke threw five scoreless innings of relief to combine with two other pitchers on a seven-inning no-hitter and a 1-0 Daytona win. Kris Bryant hit a double, and has now hit safely in 1 of his first 12 games with Daytona.
Reggie Golden and Jeimer Candelario each hit home runs in Kane County’s 8-7 loss to Wisconsin. The Cougars committed six errors in the game. They’ve now lost 77 games, setting a franchise record for most losses. The old mark was 61-76 set in 1992.
Boise had the day off.
Ryan Sweeney was 2-for-5 with a double and one RBIs in his third rehab game as Mesa beat the Mariners, 8-3. Luis Valbuena went 2-for-3 with a double and one RBIs in his first rehab game. Mark Malave had two RBIs and two doubles.
Dave Sappelt hit his fourth home run but it wasn’t enough as Iowa lost, 4-3, to Memphis. Brad Nelson went 4-for-4 and Ty Wright delivered a pinch-hit RBI single.
Eric Jokisch gave up three earned runs over 7 2/3 innings in Tennessee’s 4-2 loss to Birmingham. Javier Baez singled and scored a run, and was batting .400 in 21 games this month. Arismendy Alcantara had a double and one RBI. Jokisch has a 2.15 ERA in his last four games, all quality starts.
Daytona’s doubleheader against Dunedin was postponed because of rain — what else is new? — and the teams will try to play two on either Aug. 26 or Aug. 28. They are already scheduled to play two on Aug. 27.
Trevor Gretzky was 4-for-4 in Kane County’s 4-0 loss to Beloit. Tayler Scott gets the start on Friday.
Boise rallied from a 9-1 deficit to beat Salem-Keizer, 16-11. The teams combined for 39 hits. Justin Marra hit two home runs, going 4-for-5 with four RBIs. Jacob Rogers had two hits, including a home run.
Trevor Stevens was 3-for-5 in Mesa’s 7-3 loss to the Royals.
Justin Grimm gave up three runs over seven innings in Iowa’s 3-0 loss to New Orleans. Ty Wright had two hits. Kyle Hendricks starts Sunday.
Eric Jokisch gave up three earned runs over 6 1/3 innings in Tennessee’s 6-4 loss to Chattanooga. Javier Baez hit a double and drove in a run, extending his hitting streak to seven games. Christian Villanueva had one RBIs and a double, his 38th, tops in the Southern League.
Ivan Pineyro gave up six runs over five innings in Daytona’s 10-2 loss to Brevard County. Kris Bryant had two hits and one RBIs, and has hit safely in five of six games with Daytona.
Michael Heesch gave up three runs over six innings in Kane County’s 7-6 win over Clinton. The Cougars rallied with three runs in the seventh. Rock Shoulders, Oliver Zapata and Giuseppe Papaccio each had two hits and one RBIs.
Michael Wagner gave up three runs over three innings in Boise’s 11-0 loss to Tri-City. Carlos Penalver had two hits and a stolen base.
Charcer Burks, Jeffrey Baez and Kevin Brown each had multi-hit games in Mesa’s 9-7 win over the Reds.